What's the latest in Maglite conversions? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Hey guys, been away for a while. ;-)

I've got an old Maglite that use I think 3-4 D cells. Who sells reasonably priced LED conversion kits for them? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!!!

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
The answers depends on your price range and how much work you are willing to do.
  • Maglite sells LED upgrades that you can find at your local home center. They provide longer run time, but do not provide a huge leap in output. The nice thing about these is that they install very easily (essentialy the same form factor as the existing bulb).
  • Terralux makes a nice line of upgrade bulbs that are similar to the Maglite upgrades in form factor, but they will provide higher output. You can find them at www.lighthound.com and many other online places.
  • if you want to spend more $$, you can upgrade to a drop-in like the one from www.malkoffdevices.com . It is a huge increase in output and runtime over incandescent bulbs. I just installed one of these in my 3D Mag and love it.
  • If you are amibitious, you can build your own drop-in. There are lots of threads with instructions on how to build one, and many people here who willprovide specific advice if asked.
Good luck.

optodoofus
jim

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
TerraLUX seems to make several replacements, ranging from about $15 to $90. I have one, and am very pleased so far. They're available from Battery Junction, ZBattery, and probably others...

AvidHiker

Enlightened
The TLE-300 appears to be popular lately and doesn't dent the wallet quite so much, although there has been one thread recently which may make you question its durability. You may also want to have a look at this thread.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It will all depend on what you need it for.

optodoofus coverd it pretty well. There are also the elektrolumen ones(direct drive, "monster throw").

I'd suggest one with the current gen LEDs, more output for the same power(at least double) or more runtime at the same output.

Last edited:

Empyfree

Enlightened
I'll second the ElektroLumens models, Wayne keeps coming up with more ways of getting more and more light out of the front of our favourite hosts! His latest offerings are four and five emittered (emmittered, emmiterified?) drop in modules with good heatsinking.