Suggestions please: AA, momentary, multimode

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a SF EL1 but have found my ideal light will be a little different.

Just ordered a zebralight H50 and I would like to get away from CR123 so:
- 1xAA powered (2xAA suggestions are welcome too)

I like the light of the surefire, which I use a F04 diffuser with about half the time. I want more options for intensity though, like one less (~10lum) and one more (~80+lum) so:
- three mode, max ~80+lum
- no SOS or Strobe

I really like having the momentary press on the tailcap, and being able to click it for all the way on. I also don't really care how it changes modes. so:
- forward clickie, twist ring or twist bezel mode change.

I will be using it for backpacking/canoeing and around camp in the outdoors as well as while doing renovations so:
-needs to be rugged

I like my surefire but want a AA so they're not an option but don't mind paying on the lower end of their spectrum so:
- less than $100 (or there abouts) please.

I don't really need a crazy-throw beam... i'm not really looking for anything at night that is that far away, but I do have the flood covered with the zebralight so:
- Medium-spot type of beam

I was seriously considering the SF L1, but then decided for AAs. I was then seriously looking at the fenix L1T V2 (was gonna get the L2 body too) but it is discontinued and the momentary switches don't seem to be reliable (from what i've read on here). for some reason after looking at the nitecore light I don't think that is quite the one for me either.

I don't think I have forgotten anything, but if so please let me know.

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Very close description of a Nitecore Defender Infinity. Pity you don't think it would suit. I am very happy with mine and it has already proved itself to be a very useful and versatile tool.

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
Try a streamlight sidewinder. It operates on 2AA's. It has night vision red, green, blue and a main led at about 20 lumens. It is very usefull. I almost bought one at a police supply store but at 70 bucks I didn't want to spend that much. Just thought you might want to know about it.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore seems to be more tactical than I'm looking for. I would like to be able to get to a very low level without having to go through any of the higher levels.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Nitecore seems to be more tactical than I'm looking for. I would like to be able to get to a very low level without having to go through any of the higher levels.

You don't have to. Most NDI owners I know of just keep it on min and max for it's two modes. Bezel kept loose, and it's lowest. Tighten it down, and it's on turbo. Operates like a 2-mode light.

Cheapskate

Enlightened

But you can. The way to think of it is as a two level light, just that you choose/program the low level.

Turn it on. If the head is loose, you get low, tighten the head, you get high (maximum). You can program the low to a level that suits then leave it at that. each time you use the light, you get the low you chose and high. So you don't have to go through levels at all if you don't want to, It just acts like a simple two level light.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes - my NDI is setup up so I
1. click the tailswitch and it is on the lowest setting
2. twist the head a tiny bit and it's on the highest setting
3. untwist and back - strobe
4. untwist and back again - high
5. untwist - low
And you can of course turn it off in any of these modes and when you turn it back on it will be in the mode you left it in. Great UI IMO.
It's a great and simple UI - and of course has full adjustment from low to high that can be saved at any point if you don't want the lowest low for your default untwisted mode.
Other than that I'd look at the Olight T15 but unfortunately it's a reverse clicky. Forward clickies are still almost as rare as Hen's teeth. Too bad...
One light in the night though (pun intended) has been Romisen as many of their lights are forward clickies and very affordable too - thus proving it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg for a forward clicky. Take a look at DX as I'm not sure what they have in double AA but I know they do have some by Romisen.
Personally for a $100 I'd just get a Novatac 85P and a rechargeable RCR123 and quit worrying about batteries.

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned
Very close description of a Nitecore Defender Infinity. Pity you don't think it would suit. I am very happy with mine and it has already proved itself to be a very useful and versatile tool.

+1

Strobe is there, but you never have to activate it. The quality is superb, it is a great little light.