Converting and powering a 9P

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to convert a SureFire 9P and a 6P both over to LED.

My question is what will give me the longest runtime on the 9p using 3 x CR123's. I want it to be bright but not to set the woods on fire and runtime is more of an issue. Of course I will require a nice tight beam with decent spill for general tasks and security.

on the 6P I think I can find a thread on here.

Thanks

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 9P...
The Surefire KL3 LED head will give you 7 hours of runtime and then many more of diminishing light. It is more of an area light but works exceptionally well in a very dark environment such as at night in the woods.

I think your only other alternatives after the KL3 would be the Malkoff M60 L low power dropin. Check with others as to it's use with 3 cells. The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts so should work fine.

The stock Surefire P60L could also be a choice for you.

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I think you're somewhat asking for mutually exclusive things. Tight beam does not necessarily equal long battery life.

With that being said, I run a 9Z (a 9P with the combatlight casing).

I put a Malkoff, a BOG, and a OpticsHQ drop in into the 9Z. All fit - all work well.

For throw - get the BOG. For all around good use - get the Malkoff. For something in between - get the OpticsHQ.

All three will work fine with 3 primary batteries too.

All will cost you around 60-80 bucks. The OpticsHQ drop in includes a new tail cap that will give you different modes to have lower brightness.

-Steve

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
No I didnt mean a tight beam made for longer run time....I meant it doesnt have to be as bright if I can still get a tight beam with good spill from it with decent run times.

Which Optics HQ model did you mean...I am really new to upgrades I always used flashlights (gasp) as they came out of the package. I have an old D2 I need to spice up eventually.

The KL3 head will stand up to the 9P?

Thanks guys:twothumbs

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL3 head is made for the two and three cell lights. I have one on an old 9P.

You will be able to use it on your 9P, D2 and 6P.