Sanding tailcaps?

slagell

Newly Enlightened
I see that people often sand or scratch then inside of the tailcap of MAgs when modifying them. I am guessing that is to make some sort of new (or maybe improved) electrical connection between the spring and the flashlight body.

I am making a 2D into a 5761 running off of 6AA's. I ordered the reflector, the bipin adaptor, the borafloat lens and 6A>2D adaptor for my Mag and am wondering if I need to sand the inside of the tailcap for this mod? I am not changing the switch if that makes a diff.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that people often sand or scratch then inside of the tailcap of MAgs when modifying them. I am guessing that is to make some sort of new (or maybe improved) electrical connection between the spring and the flashlight body.

I am making a 2D into a 5761 running off of 6AA's. I ordered the reflector, the bipin adaptor, the borafloat lens and 6A>2D adaptor for my Mag and am wondering if I need to sand the inside of the tailcap for this mod? I am not changing the switch if that makes a diff.

You won't need to sand the inside of the tailcap. The 6AA to 2D adapter fits in the space of the two D cells. You only need to sand the tailcap to fit a power pack of length sifnificantly greater than the stock length of the alkalines the light was designed for.