Noob: "Roll my own" tac light question

Max_Deployment

Newly Enlightened
Hey, all. I recently discovered dealextreme.com and this forum while I was looking for a weapon light to mount on my AR-15. Frankly, I'm impressed with the amount of esoteric knowledge you guys display, and figured this would be the best place to find a solution to my needs without dropping $100 on a PentagonLight, or three times that on a Surefire.

I ordered an UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 LED 1-mode flashlight (sku 9631) from dealextreme and it just arrived today, and I'm blown away by the amount of light thrown by a $20 flashlight (I can see why people tend to build big collections). A minor gripe is that it's a clicky switch and not momentary; my major gripe is that the body is smaller than 1.25 inches (Surefire 6P size), which is what I need to fit in my GG&G mounting ring. I grabbed my 6P off my duty belt and attached it to my rifle as a temporary solution and stuck the Cree in my belt to use at work.

What I would like to have is a 1.25" body that uses 2 (or even 3) CR123A lithium batteries, has the same (or similar) LED head w/strike bezel as the C2 (it's shock-proof, isn't it?), and has a momentary switch tailcap (twist-on optional, but not necessary). Of course, more lumens are better.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced light that fits the bill? Alternately, can someone point me in the direction of the components I need to roll my own?

As I said, I'm completely new at this but I'm ready to learn, so don't hold back. :)

Thanks so much!

MD

ETA: I already have the Surefire 6P; that's two required components right there. Is there a bigger replacement LED head that would fit the 6P? TIA.

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Hey, all. I recently discovered dealextreme.com and this forum while I was looking for a weapon light to mount on my AR-15. Frankly, I'm impressed with the amount of esoteric knowledge you guys display, and figured this would be the best place to find a solution to my needs without dropping $100 on a PentagonLight, or three times that on a Surefire.

I ordered an UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 LED 1-mode flashlight (sku 9631) from dealextreme and it just arrived today, and I'm blown away by the amount of light thrown by a $20 flashlight (I can see why people tend to build big collections). A minor gripe is that it's a clicky switch and not momentary; my major gripe is that the body is smaller than 1.25 inches (Surefire 6P size), which is what I need to fit in my GG&G mounting ring. I grabbed my 6P off my duty belt and attached it to my rifle as a temporary solution and stuck the Cree in my belt to use at work.

What I would like to have is a 1.25" body that uses 2 (or even 3) CR123A lithium batteries, has the same (or similar) LED head w/strike bezel as the C2 (it's shock-proof, isn't it?), and has a momentary switch tailcap (twist-on optional, but not necessary). Of course, more lumens are better.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced light that fits the bill? Alternately, can someone point me in the direction of the components I need to roll my own?

As I said, I'm completely new at this but I'm ready to learn, so don't hold back. :)

Thanks so much!

MD

ETA: I already have the Surefire 6P; that's two required components right there. Is there a bigger replacement LED head that would fit the 6P? TIA.
From DX:

1. Romisen RC-F4 - $14.60
2. Romisen RC-N3 - $18.00 (pos. clicky)
3. Cree Q5 WC on 16mm star (x2) - $9

Just replace the LEDs and you can have a great combo of a 2x123 tac light, and a 2xAA or 1x123 backup.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe a spacer would make the light fit, something like a fitting rubber tubing or multi layers of bike inner tube(go to your local biking supply store and ask for broken inner tubes, they should have a few that they will be willing to give to you for free). I'm not sure how it will take to the recoil(the light might shift) so you might want to test it out at a range first.

As for the clickie, swap in another one? You should be able to take apart the tailcap, if you can, get a picture(and measurements if possible) and we might be able to find you the correct forward clickie.

There are also many LED drop-ins that will fit the 6P. Thread here.

:welcome:

Latest posts