Wrist Lanyard for SureFire E-Series

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it doesn't show the product or how it works.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I know. Like I said, I ordered a set, so I'll try to take pics and provide a review. I think it's in-line with the lanyard that comes with the PT-Surge, however I'm not sure.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Wow, thanks for the link! They made it just "too easy" to click & buy! I'm in too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make my own lanyards from "flattened and sized" paracord ( paracord is usually available at surplus and army/navy stores and Blackhawk Industries in several colors) and a couple of plastic beads (availiable cheap at craft stores, make sure the inside diameter is around an 3/16"), It's easy and the paracord in flat form is very unobtrusive and strong.

First you cut a length of parachute cord double the length of the finished lanyard size you want and pull out the "guts" (twelve or seven strands of white line in the center). Second, wet the cord with water and iron (set the iron on hot to med. hot) it flat. Third take a small cup with a 1 to 4 ratio of white or wood glue to water (mixed well) and soak the ironed cord in the mixture then ring out the excess by running it through a paper towel between your thumb and forefinger. Four, let it dry by hanging it somewhere. Now that you have flattened and sized cord you can burn closed the ends with a lighter or other flame (avoid breathing the fumes they're toxic). I then slide it through the ring on the end of the belt clip, even it out and knot it close to the clip to keep it from sliding around I use two plastic beads as slide adjusters on the lanyard and melt and point the ends of the cord by twisting the hot molten end on a piece of paper then slip both ends of the lanyard through the beads and knot the end. Now you have two great sliders.You can slide one up and knot behind it to shorten the cord and use the other to tighten the cord around your wrist.

The great thing about the flattened cord is that it is the perfect dimension to slip through the lanyard ring on a SF pocket clip and it is much more low profile than the full 3/16" diameter paracord size lanyards that SF sells (you can even gut your SF cord, flatten and size it and lose the sliding cord locks for the smaller 1/4" beads that are also available in colors, I use black and clear), I like these homemade lanyards so much that I wear my Arc AAA LE around my neck on one.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Never thought about pulling the guts out. In a "situation" those "gut strings" could come in handy (you know - "survival floss" or "climbing out of a castle tower" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), though I'm going to try flattening one...thanks.

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks TSG I use lanyards on most of my lights, think I will make up a few like yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just ordered one set of the lanyards that Nascar mentioned and Sigman ordered. This for my E2. I have the lanyards by same people for my SF 6P types. Use one on my Elite Max. Gives me excellant control of lite, and can keep it attached to palm when doing other tasks with hand. Stays attached securely.

Shawn Dodson

Newly Enlightened
Some photos:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/e2e%20in%20hand.png
http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/e2%20g19%20rack.png
http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/e2e%20magazine%20index.png
http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/e2e%20tactical%20reload.png

6P photo: http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/6p%20lanyard%201.png

Although it's supplied with a cord lock, I prefer to use overhand knots instead because the cord lock is too bulky, in my opinion.

The lanyard material is elastic shock cord, which, in my experience, is superior to parachute cord.

An article about lanyard tips will be published on the web site in the next week or two.

Cheers!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I tried shock cord for a little while, but found that after a few series of combat (out of battery) reloads, tactical reloads, speed feed reloads, and active firearm malfunction drills, the shock cord tends to fray away and soon the inner elastic is exposed. Failure of the inner elastic cords is close at hand by that point. Additionally, I prefer something to "drop away" during malfunction drills to prevent any obstructions when clearing the slide of my firearm (I suppose with an E2e, the size may not be as intrusive in the feed clearing process). Plus, a tap-rack drill is that much more easier. Unless, of course, the shock cord is carried in a "bungy" fashion with enough slack to work with.

But I concede that it does make for a very comfortable carry with the shock cord if you're not concerned with the particulars of armed carry/encounters. Another nice feature of shock cord is that it becomes compact (lengthwise) and tie knots suffice quite well without the use of cord locks.

I use 550 para cord, and sometimes 450 para cord for a lot of my gear when I go hiking/skiing/outdoor meddling. Thanks for posting those instructions tsg, I'm going to give it a shot. Sounds like it'll be very compact, yet sturdy.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this link a year or two ago and forgot what it was called, thanks for link. Who knows about the curly shoelaces for kids? ya' know the ones that don't have to be tied. these make killer lanyards. I'll make another thread when I can take and post pics.

Shawn Dodson

Newly Enlightened
PieThatCorner: From your description this apparently not the same kind of shock cord you used. The one-piece cord is solid, and covered with a bonded nylon sheath. There are no separate "inner elastic cords."

I've had the same one installed on my 6P since 1998 and it shows very little wear, despite training with it and carrying it regularly. Others have the same experience with durability.

Cheers!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beads that I use for the paracord lanyards are 6x9mm plastic beads manufactured by The Beadery Craft Products #750B barrel beads colors are #052 opaque black and #006 crystal (clear) I also have glow in the dark beads which, I used as nightclub security to find my minigags after setting down and losing two on the job (black flashlights are hard to find in the dark) but that was so long ago I can't find the bag of beads now, when I do I'll post them as they are great for finding your light in a blackout situation. I buy paracord by the 100yard spool for about $20 and they sell flattened and sized cord for about $36 a spool so I just make my own and save myself the extra $16. I make custom Kydex and Concealex gear so I use alot of cord. Those trying my suggestion, let me know how it works out for you.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif