M60 vs Fenix T1

toadman

Newly Enlightened
Have been trying to get a Malkoff M60 dropin for my Surefire P6. So far, unsuccessfully. While waiting to get this monkey off my back, how does the Fenix T1 in turbo mode compare to the M60?
Also got a Monsterthrow quad for my Maglite 3D & somehow wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Am I getting jaded?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The monster throw is unregualted(the batteries are pretty much directly connected to the batteries, no driver to push out more light or regulated runtime).

The performance of both lights should be similar.

toadman

Newly Enlightened
The monster throw is unregualted(the batteries are pretty much directly connected to the batteries, no driver to push out more light or regulated runtime).

The performance of both lights should be similar.

Please educate me. If it's unregulated & directly connected how does Malkoff's put out more light with the same voltage unless you're using different LED's they're working with the same 3 D cell batteries. If the explaination involves formulaes, equations, & physics don't bother. Pretend you're talking to Homer Simpson.(o.k. maybe not that bad)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With fresh batteries, the output should be similar.

The Malkoffdevices drop-in has 4 drivers, one for each LED. Each driver is pushing the LED at 1150 mA, the Monsterthrow is around 1000 mA to each LED with direct drive(will depend on battery), higher drive current for the malkoff. The Cree Q5 used in the Malkoff are also a bit more efficient then the Seoul P4s used in the Monster throw(around 250 lumen each vs around 200 lumen each).

The driver would ensure you get a constant current for as long as the batteries can take it. The Monster throw would decrease in output as the battery voltage drops.

I'm not sure which reflectors Malkoff uses.

If the monster throw doesn't impress you, then the Malkoff won't be too much brighter.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, pretend the LEDs are Homer Simpsons and the batteries are doughnut shops.

If the module is unregulated, the doughnut shop has no windows and no doors; Homer will therefore eat away most of the doughnut supply in little time and probably be on the floor eating bits and remains very quickly.

Now, imagine the doughnut shop is guarded by Apu. Homer will be forced by Apu's shogun to eat the supply at a lower rate but at the same time, in a much more consistent and predictable way.

Now, also imagine that everytime Homer eats a doughnut, he emits a "woohoo!". Also, let us pretend that this cheerful onomatopoeia is light emitted. During the time Homer is plundering the shop with no inhibition, he'll be eating two (or more) doughnuts at a time but only emitting a single "woohoo!", thus decreasing the doughnut efficiency. While devouring in this fashion, he tends to get his head stuck inside doughnut containers (D'OH!) and this slows down his progression even further.

Outside of the analogy, the direct driven light will start off extremely bright but also very inefficient. They tend to heat themselves up, further decreasing efficiency.

Now, with Apu present, Homer is forced to eat them one at a time. But at the same time, Apu also eats a few doughnuts (far less than Homer) during the time he is servicing the shop and also decreases the efficiency a bit. That's the drawback of linear regulators which burn off a little amount of power in order to supply the consistent output.

Apu is also able to sell old stocks of doughnuts to Homer at the same price; the regulator is able to compensate for a lower voltage and provide the same output level using older batteries.

In almost every case, The presence of Apu provides benefits that far outweighs its flaws. And even though, to the naked eye, both modules will look similar at first, after a reasonable time of use, the regulated one will offer much more useful light than the unregulated one and in overall making your batteries much more well used.

Ok, that was fun!

toadman

Newly Enlightened
Well, pretend the LEDs are Homer Simpsons and the batteries are doughnut shops.

If the module is unregulated, the doughnut shop has no windows and no doors; Homer will therefore eat away most of the doughnut supply in little time and probably be on the floor eating bits and remains very quickly.

Now, imagine the doughnut shop is guarded by Apu. Homer will be forced by Apu's shogun to eat the supply at a lower rate but at the same time, in a much more consistent and predictable way.

Now, also imagine that everytime Homer eats a doughnut, he emits a "woohoo!". Also, let us pretend that this cheerful onomatopoeia is light emitted. During the time Homer is plundering the shop with no inhibition, he'll be eating two (or more) doughnuts at a time but only emitting a single "woohoo!", thus decreasing the doughnut efficiency. While devouring in this fashion, he tends to get his head stuck inside doughnut containers (D'OH!) and this slows down his progression even further.

Outside of the analogy, the direct driven light will start off extremely bright but also very inefficient. They tend to heat themselves up, further decreasing efficiency.

Now, with Apu present, Homer is forced to eat them one at a time. But at the same time, Apu also eats a few doughnuts (far less than Homer) during the time he is servicing the shop and also decreases the efficiency a bit. That's the drawback of linear regulators which burn off a little amount of power in order to supply the consistent output.

Apu is also able to sell old stocks of doughnuts to Homer at the same price; the regulator is able to compensate for a lower voltage and provide the same output level using older batteries.

In almost every case, The presence of Apu provides benefits that far outweighs its flaws. And even though, to the naked eye, both modules will look similar at first, after a reasonable time of use, the regulated one will offer much more useful light than the unregulated one and in overall making your batteries much more well used.

Ok, that was fun!

Damn! That was good. I actually understood that explanation. Doh!!

litework

Newly Enlightened
I have a Malkoff M60 and a T1. I know that the T1 out throws the M60 by a little. I could tell the difference one night when I was checking my electric fencing. I couldn't see the furthest boundry with the Malkoff M60. I had to use my Fenix T1...with the T1, I could barely make out the fence in the far right corner of the paddock. The M60 does seem to have more flood.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The M60 does seem to have more flood.
+1

A friend was bragging about his new T1. We compared lights while walking down the unlit road by my house. Both seemed equal in throw (to my eyes), but the M60 lit the road from edge to edge, while the T1 had much less spill.

Latest posts