New Dorcy 1AAA?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just in wallyworld and saw the Dorcy 1AAA and it had new packaging that stated it had a Nichia 5mm led in it. Is that new?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No its not that one. I should've bought it since it as only 6 bucks. It looks just like the previous cheap ones, just now advertising a Nichia 5mm LED.

DaveG

Enlightened
Picked up one also,it may be a led upgrade that Dorcy made.It seems to be a whiter tint beam than my old gen 1 Dorcys without the fish eye lens.

hopkins

Enlightened
Just bought one at walmart for less than $6.
Seems a good keychain light- small & lightweight
Bezel has a lens but its a fixed focus setup- smooth spot beam, no spill.
Construction is aluminum with rubber O-rings at head, tail, and a 3rd on the
momentary tail button.
Current drain 80mA from the supplied new Energizer AAA.
Easy to disassemble to look at the boost circuit.
Dorcy1aaaNichia007.jpg

Dorcy1aaaNichia002.jpg

Dorcy1aaaNichia003.jpg

Dorcy1aaaNichia005.jpg

Dorcy1aaaNichia006.jpg

Dorcy1aaaNichia001.jpg

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had one of these in ages. Gotta pick one up. The current draw seems lower than previous gens; am I wrong?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The metal plate holding the LED onto the board - does it come off by hand now? or is it still soldered on as I heard the 3rd gen Dorcy 1AAAs were?

Removeable is better because it's then easier (almost trivial...) to change the LED.

80 mA draw means they've dropped the current to the LED (to about 20 mA I'm guessing) to get more runtime rather than more output from the LED. A good alkie AAA should support 80 mA for 8+ hours to 50% vs. the 3 or 4 of the 1st gen Dorcy 1AAAs.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
The 'plate' is soldered on at just 1 of the 4 flanges (tabs) that grip the circuit board.
Look closely at the pic in my previous post of the led assembly with the
coil (labeled 470) and you can see the 1 flange (or tab thing) soldered.
Probably could get it off.

Note: with dark adapted eyes this light would be fine to walk a trail but in
town with many building lights ruining dark adaptation it does not do much to light up a dark sidewalk or lurkers in the shadows.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I also saw this last week. Another "cheap" light that's calling out to me. These things are going to nickel and dime me to death!

I have recommended this light in the past to "non-believers" with positive feedback. Sounds like I will continue to do so.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first gen Dorcy 1AAAs drove the led at about 60 mA (which means about 240 mA from the battery), and that makes for a much brighter (and to my thinking more useful) small light. I prefer the 3 hour run times with like 6-7 lumens (with the old CS nichias) or maybe 12 with the new GSs.