Lumapower Avenger disappointing experience

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my order from BatteryJunction. Don there was a big help. I LOVE my Formula 1 AA light!

I am returning the Avenger because the end cap is way too confusing IMHO.:sigh: The light shipped with a set of 10cm tweezers. and some "end pieces" Installing that end cap looks like a big time P.I.T.A.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
within 20 minutes I got a reply from LumaPower!:twothumbs
something was mentioned about a tail cap upgrade. I am still not sure because my light shipped with the extra tailcap and a set of TWEEZERS to install it.:thinking:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy tsask,
The complexity of the Avenger is because of it's ability to become either a clicky OR a twisty.... along with a 2 level interface.

You might have a look at this review thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182720&highlight=Avenger

CPF member ernsanada did a nice job of showing what the tweezers are for. I think the main thing is to clear off a nice clean work space, take your time, and keep the parts all together in a little tray.

Personally, I've found the small bit of initial trouble I had configuring the light to be well worth my time, and it has been on my keyring for the last 2 months with no problems what so ever.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek
thanks alot for the info. I'll check out the link.

I guess I really got lucky with my "instant" Streamlight MS-FenixL0D combo mod.:grin2:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it takes a while to get your Avenger in good working condition but after that it is really a nice useful flashlight with a good beam for close range. :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK
I followed the instructions, replaced the end cap w/ rev clicky and NOTHING! :confused:then I inserted one of the batt extenders with the cap off and it lit up, but the end cap would not fit.:( even with the twisty I think I'm missing the boat as it only had one level.
This will be the first light I have ever returned because I did not like it.:thumbsdow

Proven rev clicky AAA powerhouse??????
Try Fenix L0D Q4 with the Streamlight Microstream end cap!!!!!

Fortunately I bought the ill fated Avenger from Battery Junction, I'm sure they'll give me credit or a refund.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, don't feel bad. You aren't the first one who has had problems getting the Avenger to work correctly..... it took me about half an hour of fiddling, removing the rubber bumper near the positive node/level switch and installing the longer negative battery contact stick before getting it to work correctly on both levels, in both twisty and clicky mode, AND with all 3 types of batteries (alkaline, NiMh, and lithium-ion).

However, when setup properly it does have a nice 2 level beam, works great using a lithium-ion AAA battery, and allows you the choice of a clicky or twisty on/off.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Steamlight Microstream body with the LOD-CE head.... so I'm glad you've got something that works for YOU. That's what's important!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one am willing to put a bit of time into customizing a light to my needs. i much prefer having the option to doing that to just having to live with a light and not have any ability for it to be flexible.... with the clicky and pocket clip it has made me pretty happy. Your mileage may vary but please dog dog a light for having options...

cv3po

Banned
I for one am willing to put a bit of time into customizing a light to my needs.

i much prefer having the option to doing that to just having to live with a light and not have any ability for it to be flexible.... with the clicky and pocket clip it has made me pretty happy.

Your mileage may vary but please dog dog a light for having options...

+1 on that! That is why I too am happy with the LOD Q4 head on Microstream forward clicky body. You have the option of either multi-level forward clicky or multi-level twisty with a simple head swap. No messing around with spacers or foam/rubber rings for different batt's............just solid performance with either switch. Good stuff! :twothumbs

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, don't feel bad. You aren't the first one who has had problems getting the Avenger to work correctly..... it took me about half an hour of fiddling, removing the rubber bumper near the positive node/level switch and installing the longer negative battery contact stick before getting it to work correctly on both levels, in both twisty and clicky mode, AND with all 3 types of batteries (alkaline, NiMh, and lithium-ion).

However, when setup properly it does have a nice 2 level beam, works great using a lithium-ion AAA battery, and allows you the choice of a clicky or twisty on/off.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Steamlight Microstream body with the LOD-CE head.... so I'm glad you've got something that works for YOU. That's what's important!

Derek
thanks alot I was worried that my fellow CPFers would think I am some kind of idiot:eek:.

I do like what the Avenger can do and the clip is on a par with the StreamlightMS, excellent.

To pay a compliment to LumaPower I must again say that they sent me a reply to my email within 20 minutes!

I also admired the AA Formula I for years. I finally spoiled myself because they were on sale at BattJunction. It sits on my desk next to my Fenix P2D. I am using an alk cell in the AA, and an RCR in the P2D. Yes the P2D is noticably brighter, but I love the beam on the F1. I may splurge soon and buy a 4 pack of AA Lithium primary batteries. I hear the F1 savors that Lithium "juice":party:

I hope I can get a refund or exchange for maybe a couple more F1's,
not that I need another F1; we're talking about a couple of top notch gift items that are not available to the "general public":devil:

I am sorry to be returning the light, yet I have the greatest respect for the manufacturer and the retail dealer, BatteryJunction.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
all's well with Battery Junction

I'd like to thank BatteryJunction for the prompt reply Monday morning!:twothumbs
Matt K and Co will refund my $$$ or offer an exchange.

Since they are so helpful, I may use the credit twards a new A8:naughty:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I bought two. On neither could I get the the clickie to work, and that's 3 contacts x two tailcaps x 2 lights. The 2-stage twisty worked on one, albeight flakey, and I gave it to a friend for her purse. The other is HI only, and I wouldn't give it away! IMO they should never have been shipped!

Larry

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two. On neither could I get the the clickie to work, and that's 3 contacts x two tailcaps x 2 lights. The 2-stage twisty worked on one, albeight flakey, and I gave it to a friend for her purse. The other is HI only, and I wouldn't give it away! IMO they should never have been shipped! Larry

Sorry to hear I am not the only person who had issues with the Avenger not working. I greatly appreciate the comments here.

Don99

Newly Enlightened
After two failed clickies, I decided my Avenger worked better as a twisty instead of a clicky and I fairly happy with it now. I solved my problem with using a 10440 by placing a spring washer in the base to raise the battery a couple of mm. Boy is one bright light with a 10440.