Need 18650 flashlight. Can anyone help please?

Leef

Enlightened
Most of Milkyspit's lights feature superb regulation, and they can be mated to many different Leef bodies that use one or more 18650s.

bspofford

Enlightened
Get a DereeLight CL1H with a 3SD Q5 module. I own just about every flashlight made, and it is my favorite.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Andy,
I've been looking for an 18650 based light for a while too. There have been some good suggestions so far. If you can afford a Milkyspit creation, of course that would be the way to go.... nothing like a custom mod.

The VB-16 at Deal Extreme is also an attractive light, and so far seems to be getting pretty good reviews.... certainly worth consideration..... but I'm hesitant about their quality control and warranty service.

Then again there is the Dereelight CL1H, which has intrigued the heck out of me..... you can find them in the Dealers Corner of the CPF Market Place. It looks like a solidly built light (great clip), and I love the ability to upgrade the pill.

The thing that has kept me from buying one is that I want a light capable of at least 2 levels that can run on both 18650 AND 2xCR123 cells ..... and the one version they offer that can do that needs to have the cells placed in the light backwards (+ towards the tail).... and that bugs me no end.

So, that has left me leaning towards this light:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-126-127-6447

With the 2 stage Q5 drop-in I think I might have a winner!

Depending on what you are looking for in a light, general purpose or maybe a thrower.... you could also check out the offerings from Lumapower, EdgeTac, and Tiablo.

Here are some good flashlight review sites:

http://lightreviews.info/news.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm
http://www.cpfreviews.com/
http://flashlightnews.org/
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

Good luck with your search.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed this one over at the CPFMP:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176214

Last edited:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am looking for an outdoor 18650 light with throw. My budget is $450. I would like this light to have excellent regulation and a lock out tail cap.

I'm not familiar with Milkyspit's creations because i haven't come across them yet.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Get a DereeLight CL1H with a 3SD Q5 module. I own just about every flashlight made, and it is my favorite.

Can you tell me what it is about this light that makes it your favourite? Could you tell me all the things that you like about it?

litework

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for an LED with throw, I would suggest the Dereelight DBS V2 3SD. It is a great light and has a lot of throw.

Windscale

Enlightened
andylondon,

It may be a good idea to take a look at the latest Ultrafire 18650 lights. Most of them are very well built and regulated. I have a few and they are all very impressive. But all of them come with a clickie. Another thing with Ultrafire is that you ought to be careful with their batteries. They make 2 types of 18650s, one in blue and one in silver colour. The latter is just that little bit bigger than the former and some of the lights just won't accept them. So all my lights use the blue ones.

With your budget you should be able to get 2 or 3 UF 18650 lights with a charger and a handful of batteries.

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
Can you upgrade the led in the Tiablo A8 & A9?

If the A8 is optimized for 18650's does that mean that it will give more output or runtime or both?

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
Then again there is the Dereelight CL1H, which has intrigued the heck out of me..... you can find them in the Dealers Corner of the CPF Market Place. It looks like a solidly built light (great clip), and I love the ability to upgrade the pill.

The thing that has kept me from buying one is that I want a light capable of at least 2 levels that can run on both 18650 AND 2xCR123 cells ..... and the one version they offer that can do that needs to have the cells placed in the light backwards (+ towards the tail).... and that bugs me no end.

What about the 1SM-2 drop-in/pill? Won't that run both 18650, CR123, and RCR123 with the "+" toward the bulb? Or does that drop-in also need the reverse installation?

bspofford

Enlightened
Howdy Andy, Then again there is the Dereelight CL1H, which has intrigued the heck out of me..... you can find them in the Dealers Corner of the CPF Market Place. It looks like a solidly built light (great clip), and I love the ability to upgrade the pill.

These comments are very much out of date! The v.1 CL1H was once a one-mode light with reverse polarity. That's ancient history. The v.2 and v.3 have conventional (+) to the head polarity, and you can get one-mode, two-mode, three-mode, and digital-infinite modules. You can also use any other standard P60 module with as many modes as you want. Five-mode modules are common, and you can get an R2 Solarforce module for about $25. The CL1H tube can accommodate 2XCR123A or 1X18650 cells, but module you use will dictate what batteries are compatible. For example, if you use a regulated module rated to 8.4V, you could use 1X18650(3.7V), 2X16340(8.4V), or 2XCR123A(6V). If you use an unregulated module like the one-mode Q5 that comes with the TrustFire T1(18650), it is brighter with 2XCR123A. My favorite DereeLight module is the 3SD 3-mode Q5 with a gorgeous, amazingly bright, white beam. Furhtermore, you can use either an SMO or OP reflector with the same pill. This is the most versatile 18650 light you can buy anywhere.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for GOOD regulated 18650 light, stay away from light that support both 18650 and 2 CR123A (or RCR). Most of these lights are regulated in 2 CR123A setup but POORLY regulated when 18650 is used. When they claimed 18650 is supported, it means you could use 18650 and the light would still work without ruin your LED. That's it:)

You should look for light that is designed to use ONLY 18650 like DereeLight CL1H with a 3SD Q5 module (not its SM module which is designed for 2 CR123A while it "supports" 18650). The same apply to VB-16.

Alan

Wattnot

Enlightened
Slow down a bit folks, we've got a little Dereelight mis-information growing in here! :faint:

You guys are mostly right about the polarity but there still is one config that requires the positive down (toward tailcap). That's the 2SM you guys are talking about above. I have a CL1H v3 (yes, that's right, V3) with the 2SM pill and you MUST put the positive to the tailcap on it. All of the rest (or at least all of the digital ones) are "normal" with the positive toward the head. I guarantee this info is correct.

I wasn't completely impressed with the performance of the 2SM so I'm in the process of upgrading to the 1S. The 2SM is nice and simple . . . twist head for high and low and push the button for on and off (momentary too, with it's nice, forward clicky). What I didn't like was what I recently learned: The 2SM is optimized for CR123's and I, like the OP, wanted 18650. The output was a little lower with the 18650. The 1S is the only pill that will give me full output with an 18650 while retaining momentary and/or signaling ability. The digital pills will change modes if you repeatedly press on the tailcap.

You didn't know there were that many compromised with these things, huh! I know I didn't but I'm learning!

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Slow down a bit folks, we've got a little Dereelight mis-information growing in here! :faint:

You guys are mostly right about the polarity but there still is one config that requires the positive down (toward tailcap). That's the 2SM you guys are talking about above. I have a CL1H v3 (yes, that's right, V3) with the 2SM pill and you MUST put the positive to the tailcap on it. All of the rest (or at least all of the digital ones) are "normal" with the positive toward the head. I guarantee this info is correct.

I wasn't completely impressed with the performance of the 2SM so I'm in the process of upgrading to the 1S. The 2SM is nice and simple . . . twist head for high and low and push the button for on and off (momentary too, with it's nice, forward clicky). What I didn't like was what I recently learned: The 2SM is optimized for CR123's and I, like the OP, wanted 18650. The output was a little lower with the 18650. The 1S is the only pill that will give me full output with an 18650 while retaining momentary and/or signaling ability. The digital pills will change modes if you repeatedly press on the tailcap.

You didn't know there were that many compromised with these things, huh! I know I didn't but I'm learning!

This is exactly right - I own both pills.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am looking for an outdoor 18650 light with throw. My budget is $450. I would like this light to have excellent regulation and a lock out tail cap.

I bought a couple of 18650 Ultrafire cells for an inexpensive light awhile ago. (My first light that takes those cells). Then found out that Ultrafire cells don't work reliably in that particular light. (A Solarforce L600).

Just couldn't have the Ultrafires sitting around without a home, so I recently picked up a Tiablo A9. Poor regulation with 18650s, but very good runtime. Works better with CR123s, which I have plenty of.

But MattK came up with a good suggestion. The Tiablo A8 is a different creature from the A9, despite the family resemblance. The A8 meets all of your requirements, with the possible exception of a lock-out tailcap. (I don't think it has one, but I could be wrong).

Other than that, it would be a good choice for you. And it's much less than $450. So you'll have plenty of cash left over to buy more lights! :)

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some of my collection.

2CR123 or 18650

v032Small.jpg

v033Small.jpg

New Lights and some old. Second from the left is a Tiablo MA6 which uses 2RCR123's or a 17670.

vlSmall-1.jpg

Last edited: