Aspherical Streamlight Scorpion: I did it! (pics)

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Thats right, I bought a cheap aspherical lens from DE 12mm in diameter and I put an o-ring behind it, screwed the top of the light back together and then focused it into an extremely tight, extremely bright square spot. It's still pretty light out, but I'll get some beam shots. At 20 feet it's like 1000% brighter than my new Inova T2, but of course there is little side spill. There is side spill, but only after a huge gaping black hole. The best part? The aspherical lens sits deep enough in the head that it can be completely guarded from the elements.

So, my thoughts on this mod: Is it particularly useful? NO. Unless you want to light stuff up from VERY far away, I can not see this mod being very useful. It is not water proof (though I think it may have only been water resistent to begin with), it has little to no sidespill. Is it cool? HELL YEAH it's cool!

note: keep in mind the camera is sucking up a LOT of ambient light from the sun shining straight through the blinds.

dsc0076wh6.jpg

dsc0077cm8.jpg

dsc0078ft3.jpg

dsc0083my0.jpg

dsc0086nf0.jpg

dsc0087lu4.jpg

Last edited:

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Cool mod. I'm sure this has been suggested before, but how about adding some weak diffusing material to the front of the lens? With a material that only perturbs ~50% of the photons passing through it, you'd get some usable spill while maintaining the highly focused hotspot.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Well qtaco, I would but this light will not be staying this way for long. I just received my SSC emitter that I'm going to upgrade the Scorpion with..it is just too useful of a light to waste it on something like this. It is pretty cool though! This is just a luxeon III emitter, with a CREE it would probably be more than twice as bright.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Cheers mods! Yeah it's bigger than 12mm, I think it may have been like 27. Anyways I took the light outside last night and it has some serious projection. I mean I was thoroughly lighting up houses over 150 feet away with ease..I just ran out of room. I wonder how it would take to a K2 Flip chip?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Dang I thought this would attract more attention than it did. For what its worth, I tried the aspheric lens in front of my new T2 and it was awesomely bright! It's neat to look at the exact enlarge reflection of the emitter. I suggest you all pick one up at least to check it out.