hmm.. Novatac 120e or L1 Cree?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
So I got my yearly bonus, and while I want to save some, I want to spend some.

if you had a choice, which would it be? and why?

I'd like momentary on, like hi and low levels (both have both I believe)
I have a L1d ce (and batt tube for l2dce), and E0 right now that I carry all the time, as well as an Ultrafire C2 for work.

this would probably replace the l1d/l2d as my "back up" light, LF pocket carry.

options? thoughts?

bigfoot

Enlightened
Both are nice lights. You probably can't go wrong either way. If it was me, I'd go for the Surefire L1 Cree. Great warranty service if it's ever needed.

Good luck whatever you choose! :)

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I keep going back and forth (if I even get anything)... leaning novatac right now as I always wanted one when they were HDS :)

Plus it's a bit smaller and that's always nice for pocket carry.

the novatacs do RCR's don't they?

PS as an aside, I suppose I should update my sig.

gunga

Flashaholic
Can you do me a favour please...

THere have been several threads with this exact question (tho usually people ask about the 120P), can you try a search first? THey are pretty long threads with a lot of great info, check it out.

And to answer your question, I've tried both and love the programmability and smaller size of the 120P. I also like the the fact that it can use normal Li0n 3.7V rechargables.

The 120E is also nice, but you really should consider the 120P if you are leaning that way. It's worth the extra $!

The L1 is a great simple light with other strengths, but I like the flexibility of the 120P.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
ahh, I did do a search, but found very little asking about 120e, just the 120p, and IMHO that is a different light entirely.

I do like the programability of the p, but really can't justify the extra money when I don't really need all those funtions. Want, yes, need no.

guspa

Newly Enlightened
I was between the EL1 and the 120E myself. I ended with a compromise. I just order an 85P from lighthound for $99. I couldnt justify the extra money for the 120P. It has everything the 120P except the except the obvious extra lumens. The runtime on the 120P is better at 85 lumens but I think at lower levels they are equivelent. 60 lumens is fine for my use.

my .02cents anyway.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I own both and to me it comes down to the intended use of the light.
These are just my personal observations, YMMV;

-The SF L1 is rock solid, has a simple and reliable mechanical two- stage switch and is slightly bigger and easier to get a grip on.
It is quick and intuitive in use and has no "learning curve". can be turned on in momentary mode, which the Novatac can't. (Unless you get the 85/120T)
It has a lot of throw for such a small light and the hotspot is very intense, almost blinding at short distances.
The quality is, well.... Surefire! Doesn't get better in a production light, I believe.
Output is rated at 65 lumens, but it looks like quite a bit more to me in my very unscientific ceilling bounce tests. (L1 vs. EDC120)

-The Novatac is - I assume - as durable as the SF L1, but has an electronically controlled user interface. Some like it, some don't.
It takes longer to get familiar with it and it's easier to screw up if you'r in a stressed situation.
The beam is awesome! Very bright hotspot and excellent spill. I think it has one of the best beams for all round use I have ever seen.
Not as intense as the L1 though. Will run on both primaries and rechargable batteries.

I love both, but if I could only have one, it would be the SF L1!

Zenster

Enlightened
Devil's Advocate here... :devil:

I also have both (120P & SF L1), and I like both to where I wouldn't part with either one of them.

BUT, having had the experience with them both, and if I had to choose just one over the other, I would go with the 120P with absolutely no reservations.

The 120 has a VERY useful brightness range, and of all of my multi-mode lights, it's the simplest to use. It's become my wife's favorite (dammit... now I won't see it much). I will probably have to get another.

Yes, the L1 is a simple and useful light, but it's a full inch longer than the Novatac, and I find that it's brightness choices are typically too bright or too dim for what I end up wanting.
While the programmability of the Novatac is a big plus, I find that I like the factory settings best so I just leave it alone and use it the way it came (.3 lumen/10 lumen/30 lumen/120 lumen).

So again I luvem' both and won't part with either, but I think the first one a person would be happier with would be the Novatac. Then when you get flush with cash again, get the L1.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
welp, issue resolved, picked up a Novatac 120e on the marketplace here for a deal... again, while I like the programable options, the regular edc default options are fine for me.

L1 Cree will still wander my way eventually. Good chance it will be my first SF since I still don't have one, unless I find an amazing deal on a E1E (for some reason I still want one, not sure why, but I do)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I do not like L1's twist switch for everyday use. I'm no swat so I don't hold my lights in any tactical pose, and the twist cap would require a second hand to operate, unlike novatac's push button.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I have both the SF L1 & the 120E. I don't use the SF L1, but ordered a second 120E for my duty belt, that should tell you what I think of it. I also have a 85P, but I don't like "playing" with a light & find the E version does what I want it to, no muss, no fuss, no "playing" with it. Hope this helps.