new Inova Lumens

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard rumers of Inova having a intagrating sphere so that lumens are out the front.... but do not know for sure. I can say, that after having a Trios T4,T5 and a 2007 k2 T3... the new T1 is the first light that I have had by Inova that I believe lives up to its lumen's claims. So, I believe the T1 produces 100 lumens...at least at the emitter, possibly out the front. I also believe the T2 and T3 claims seem like they can be accurate. As for the T4 and T5..... we will just have to see what the reviews show us.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've heard the newer ones have accurate out the front lumen. Someone posted on the marketplace that Inova now has an integrated sphere to measure output.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol goatizzle.

I did a ceiling bounce test with my Milky L1e (SSC) driven at around 400mA with my new Inova T1. The T1 has ever so slightly more output.

Good job Inova!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's OTF.

BUT, I have noticed the Flipchip LED's have a LOT more spill, and I'm not too crazy about that. I actually prefer the 2007 T1 light output to the 2008 T1.

-dan

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
my guess is OTF.

just now used the '08 T5 MP that i have to light up a large swathe of my backyard out to ~255' to the where the woods start in back - even made a 'possum amble off to the side into some brush/shrubs half-way back.

the '08 T5 MP lit up a much larger area than the NiteCore Extreme (also a claimed 200 lumen light) and easily appeared, to the unaided eye, twice as bright as the claimed 200 lumen NiteCore Extreme on its maximum output (head tightened fully). after quickly testing the T5 in this manner, the NE was quite anti-climatic, to say the least (don't get me wrong, i like the little NE very much, and it's an entirely diff. light, but it's claim of 200 lumen, at least when significant throw is involved as well as field of illumination at 80-100 feet can't compare to the T5 - not even close in my quickie, non-technical test).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
initially, a bran' spankin' new Surefire cell. after that, also tried an unused Duracell Ultra cell with a 2016 expiration date.

the '08 T5 MP had three fresh Panasonic cells in it.

The Nitecore only claims 200 lumens when using a 3.7v lithium ion, R123, etc. Still, who knows if it really is doing 200 lumens out the front even with a R123. :)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore only claims 200 lumens when using a 3.7v lithium ion

right you are, but NiteCore claims 190lm on a CR123A cell. not sure at the distances and field of view that i was "testing"/using it at, that the naked eye could tell the difference as it's only a 10% diff in overall o.p. - i rather doubt that this diff. would be noticeable. whereas, the '08 T5 MP easily appeared to be 2x as bright. it was so easily noticeable. don't get me wrong, i'm NOT gonna' be EDC-ing the T5, whereas the NE makes a fine EDC. two totally diff lights, with two totally diff. purposes.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
right you are, but NiteCore claims 190lm on a CR123A cell. not sure at the distances and field of view that i was "testing"/using it at, that the naked eye could tell the difference as it's only a 10% diff in overall o.p. - i rather doubt that this diff. would be noticeable. whereas, the '08 T5 MP easily appeared to be 2x as bright. it was so easily noticeable. don't get me wrong, i'm NOT gonna' be EDC-ing the T5, whereas the NE makes a fine EDC. two totally diff lights, with two totally diff. purposes.

I might have to pick up a T5. :) Have you tried a ceiling bounce? That would be more telling than comparing the beams.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, sorry, i didn't try. i did try them from my "LazyBoy" in the den over to a corner of the "hutch" in the dining room 'bout 15-18 feet away. the smaller NE hotspot was quite bright, probably similar to the '08 T5 MP (so perhaps in "eyeball" Lux it's approx. the same), but overall (talkin' "eyeball" Lumens here), it wasn't close. the NE dropped off significantly outside of the central spot compared to the '08 T5 MP.

as for ceiling bounce, i'd probably be temporarily blinded by the T5 as i only have 7.5 foot high ceilings here at home.

my personal preference when it's dark outside, as it was earlier when i first Posted in this Thread, is to "test" the lights in more real world situations (whether outdoors for many lights, or indoors for certain lights which might be more apt to be used indoors).

i haven't been a big Inova fan, other than the X5 (one of my first lights some years ago), but have long since stopped using it in favor of Cree and SSC based lights. i had an older T1 which didn't impress me at all, nor did the 24/7's "gizmo" factor last long either (i'd say it's a "giz-less", IMO).

however, this new '08 T5 MP has really "wowed" me. maybe i'm just havin' another senior moment, but i can't remember the last time a non-custom light has so impressed me. maybe, i just had lower expectations based upon my experience with the 24/7 and older T1. i went with the T5 versus one of its lil' brothers, b/c i didn't want to be too disappointed by poor output.

i'm gonna' be looking into gettin' a T1, T2, and T3, probably next week.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do a ceiling bounce, don't look at the ceiling. :) Look at the floor. It shouldn't be any brighter than turning a lamp on in the room. When comparing the lights you should be able to see which lights up the floor more or less.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
good to know (wish i had thought of that - all these months since joinin' CPF, i've been blindin' me-self lookin' up at the ceiling, "half-watt, you idiot!!!" i'm sayin' to myself right 'bout now).

many thanks, i'll try it tonight and Post back my conclusions.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the low function of the T5?
Isn't low PWM? How noticeable is the strobe?

I like my T2-mp, but am thinking of offloading it and getting a T1 & T5.
(The T2 is too bright for close up work, the floody T1 would be better)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the low function of the T5?
Isn't low PWM? How noticeable is the strobe?

I like my T2-mp, but am thinking of offloading it and getting a T1 & T5.
(The T2 is too bright for close up work, the floody T1 would be better)

Low is very bright - maybe 60 lumens (just a wild guess on my part, but it's too bright to read by - i read on some product webpage that low mode could be used for reading. well, maybe if you put on sunglasses then the reflected light/glare wouldn't nuke your eyeballs at close range).

don't know about LO using PWM. i can't notice any (i'll have to check tonight by running water out of the kitchen faucet - one of the easiest ways for me to pick up on PWM, i.e. that sparkling jewel-like effect of the drops moving quickly under a PWM light - sorta' "strobish" appearance, if you know what i mean). also can't hear any inductor whine/converter buzz which i still can (despite age degraded hi-freq hearing) in other lights.

strobe is non-random flashes. that is, it's a simple rapid disorienting flash which appears to have a 50% duty cycle (i.e., equal time both on and off). not sure, but it appears to flashing at least at a 10Hz rate, maybe a bit faster (20Hz??? don't think it that fast though.).

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I was referring to the strobe of the PWM low.
Inova's cheap microlight has a terribly slow PWM frequency on low output.

I guess if you put those sunglasses on, and then shake the head back/forth while on low and see if you can see a syncopated beam.

(or go into the garage and spin in circles. I've done that...)
Yes I know what you mean about running water.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I own a 2008 Inova T5 and I compared the output to a Fenix T1. The Fenix is rated at 225 lumens while the Inova at 200 lumens. While doing a ceiling bounce test the Inova was brighter than the Fenix, throw was just slightly less than the Fenix though.