NAS recommendations?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I need a Network Attached Storage hard drive and I need some recommendations. I keep reading reviews where the file read/write is slow or even falls off the network entirely. Any suggestions? Thanks.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the one I want. Goes great with a mini. As far as read and write times, I think that will always be true of NAS.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I'm looking to hook it up to my wireless router for file storage that include video files from my TIVO, music and other files. Hope this answers your question.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the one I want. Goes great with a mini. As far as read and write times, I think that will always be true of NAS.

tiktok be careful with the NDAS. I hope it's debugged by now. I tried an NDAS drive about 1.5 yrs ago and it was a nightmare, especially not handling connections well with a laptop which needed to find, drop, then refind it as it as taken to & from the LAN.

There were also problems with the promise of dual Win/Mac access. Couldn't have 2 devices connected to the unit simultaneously. That meant I had to manually use the NDAS connection app all the time on both Win and Mac so I could switch. It was a real pain.

1.5 yrs is an eternity in the computing world though. Maybe it's all worked out now. When it was working the NDAS box was great and I found NDAS to be, as promised, a great low-overhead connection.

For a Mini, where it'll always be on the LAN I bet it'll perform largely as expected.

As for a different drive -- LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini. That was a nightmare too. Also, it was about 1 year ago, so maybe they've fixed it. Total nightmare at the time though. I recommended the client to send it back. Most poorly thought-out and buggy NAS unit I'd ever seen, and I was absolutely stunned that it came from LaCie which at one time deserved its reputation as among the best of consumer drive units. It was so obviously rushed that even the documentation talked about something else in many places. It was supposed to run Linux but the embedded OS was actually MS, so maybe some deal went south just before a drop-dead ship date and they had to just ship something, debugged or not.

Maybe this should serve as a heads-up caveat in general for consumer-grade NAS. Sorry I can't offer any positive suggestions here, except that server-attached storage is much more mature. Although that requires a server box and its expense and sometimes-maintenance, in my experience it has proven much more reliable.

Last edited:

weedle256

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, blinky for the info!

I'm bumping around and I found this NAS unit by Linksys:

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-nas200-network-storage-system-with-2-bays/q/loc/101/205689222.html

And the reviews don't have that many bad things to say as I have seen for other NAS units. Any thoughts about this?

I'm thiiisss close to buying that one too... I'd like to get 2TB worth of disks in it but haven't made up my mind yet.

For the home it seems like a decent solution. Reviews point out that it's slow and only has 100Mb ethernet.

I do like that you can attach USB drives to it, even if they can only be FAT-32 formated.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Instead of a NAS you could use another computer set up as a server.

You could add in extra drives to get the storage you need via internal HDD & USB external HDD enclosures.