Surefire E1L Outdoorsman Cree for backpacking?

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
The description says it was designed for "outdoors," but what do you guys suggest? I don't need the light to light up a barn from 200 yds, but want it to have great runtime with enough light to light up a trail...

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you get the 2008 E1L version with dual output. 45 lumens on high and 3 lumens on low for 48 hours. 3 lumens is plenty of light to navigate a trail in complete darkness. I would highly suggest it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
If you want dual output, get the 2008 model. If you want longer runtime with single output, the 2007 model provides that. Either way, an excellent, small light with SF toughness.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the older E1Ls which is single mode, 30lum. I use it all the time for portaging trips and backpacking, its small, light, well built, has great runtime and a good amount of light when needed.
I personally clip it to the brim of my hat when I need to use both hands and it is small enough not to look stupid or pull my hat forward. I would HIGHLY suggest picking up their F04 diffuser, I use it about half the time (if not more) that I am using the light.

My other suggestion would be the L1, a little more pricey but with higher output. I was considering getting the new dual mode head for my E1L but I think the 10/45lum will be more useful for me.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I think you will want the new 2008 2-level E1L (uses the new dual output KX1 head). They are just starting to become available.

But don't forget to check out the $110 E1B "Backup", the $135 2007 L1 (Cree), and the $129 new 2008 E2L (w/dual output KX2 head).

I just picked up a 2-level E1L and it already has the makings of a great camping and hiking light.

Another +1 on the F04 diffuser if you get the E1L, E2L, or E1B. Turns the light from a thrower into a more floody beam.

Here's a link to my quick first impressions over on EDC Forums:
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=15445.0

Good luck with whatever light you choose!

Last edited:

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
If you want dual output, get the 2008 model. If you want longer runtime with single output, the 2007 model provides that. Either way, an excellent, small light with SF toughness.

Yeah, I was planning on getting the 08 dual output version. How long would you expect it to run on high using cr123 primaries?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was planning on getting the 08 dual output version. How long would you expect it to run on high using cr123 primaries?
I recommend you to take a look at this topic:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191607
Excellent pictures, comparing the 2007 and 2008 E2L + L1. Also good runtime plots - from what I can see, it looks like it will run 6 hours on 2 CR123A batteries in full regulation.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
I recommend you to take a look at this topic:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191607
Excellent pictures, comparing the 2007 and 2008 E2L + L1. Also good runtime plots - from what I can see, it looks like it will run 6 hours on 2 CR123A batteries in full regulation.

Thanks, but I've seen that thread already...and I was looking for E1L runtimes, not E2L. But if the E2L will run for about 6 hours regulated...how long do you think the E1L will last?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How much do you want to spend and what size?

The Fenix P2D would run at around 65 lumen(around 80 if you have the Q5 version) out the front for almost 3 hours, so I'd expect around 3.5 hours.

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I have been considering a new E2L for even longer runs times and a dual mode for the same use (as a back-up). I think the E1L would be a good choice too.

Spence

Enlightened
Don't neglect to get a good, waterproof, spares holder, check some out at Lighthound, unless the SureFire spares carriers suit your needs. I, personally, think you can't go wrong with either the L1 Cree, E2L or E1L, for backpacking. Do as suggested, get the SF F04 diffuser filter, $12, it makes a world of difference, usability wise.

Spence
:candle::wave:

prof

Enlightened
I don't have one but think it would be great. I use a pair of Surefire L1s--an older one and a newer one. The older one, a Lux3, has a 90 hour runtime on low (which is listed as 1.1 lumens). Equipped with a beamshaper, it's a great light for moving around the house or camp in the dark--but I'd hesitate to walk very far with just that amount of light. On high it's about 22 lumens. The new L1 is far brighter--10 lumens (16 hour runtime) on low, and 65 on high. Together they're a great pair for most everything.

However, I recommend carrying spare batteries just in case. There's nothing quite like needing a cr123 and realizing you've only got spare AAs...or, going into a drugstore and dropping $10 on a single cr123...did that once also. Spares are important. Get a good carrier.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of the light!

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
The E1L (single-mode) is perfect for lighting up a walking trail with excellent runtime.

The dual-mode is good too, but I wouldn't feel confident using 3 lumens to light up an outdoor trail - it's more useful for close-up or indoors. That would leave you the higher 45 lumen setting at shorter runtime.

Weigh the difference of 45 lumens @ good runtime VS 30 lumens @ better runtimes.

If I wanted a dual-mode light, I'd go with the L1 for sure. The 15 lumen setting of the L1 low, is prob bright enough for most trails.

const451

Newly Enlightened
And what I have just recently learned around here is that E series has the electronics in the head, meaning it is upgradable, meaning E1L & E2L is a better investment.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Yep, that's exactly what I just did with my E1L. I had an older KL1 LED head on mine that was sold on the BST forum here a couple of days ago.

It was easier for me to justify spending $66 and getting a new KX1 LED head than $99 for a whole new light, when I already had the body and tailcap from my old one.

I guess it depends on what the OP intends to do with the light. 3 lumens is enough around camp on an easy trail or going on a bathroom walk, but I would definitely want more light for off-trail or difficult hiking. So what Taepo said, the Cree single-stage E1L might suit you better.

Q: How long do you expect to be hiking in the dark?