M60 questions

jbosman1013

Enlightened
During the last wave I was able to snag one M60 235+ lumen module. I was comparing the output to my fenix T1 and could see no visable difference but the tint was not helping either. So I got out the multimeter and this is what I got.

AW's 123/M60= 0.56
SF 123/M60= 0.66
AW's 123/T1= 0.52
SF 123/T1= 0.79

Are these the numbers I should be seeing or.....

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are pretty close in output and it maybe hard to notice which is brighter without a meter, but try checking the spill. The M60 should have wider spill, and brighter spill.

You could also try a cieling bounce in a small room with a white or light colored cieling. Look at objects in the room and see if you notice any difference in brightness between the M60 and T1.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
a cieling bounce test is still to close to call so I was hoping the numbers would make sence of things. I guess I'm just wondering, is the driver just really good...is it not pulling enough current...is the tint playing tricks on me...is the T1 really that darn bright.

BigD64

Enlightened
The combination of throw and spill, imho, is what sets the M60 apart from all other lights. Even the T1 which I like(yes, Wade I believe it would survive a Crown Victoria crush). The spill blends much nicer and is wider than the T1. The throw is just a tad shy of the T1. Gene has really hit the nail on the head.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The M60 also uses an optic, which is more efficient at transmitting light then the reflector + window that Fenix uses. So less light is needed to equal the same out the front lumen. Also the higher voltage for the RCR123 batteries means less current is needed to provide the same power(watt = voltage * current)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Thanks gunner, now "I see the light"
crackup.gif
but seriously that does make good sence.