Went Skydiving yesterday! (Video)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like SOOO much fun!!!
Ive always wanted to do that!

Whats that Big Dark Mushroom cloud in the video? an explosion in the distance?

KingSmono

Enlightened
That looks like SOOO much fun!!!
Ive always wanted to do that!

Whats that Big Dark Mushroom cloud in the video? an explosion in the distance?

You definitely should do it! It was one of those things on my "to-do-before-I-die" list, that I can now check off. :)

I think they were doing a controlled burn not far off. While we were floating down, the instructor I was skydiving with, (more like strapped to) commented that it looked like someone set off a mini A-bomb!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jumped at Deland in 1993. Video brings back some memories. There's nothing quite like tumbling out of an airplane at 14 grand and living to tell about it.

KingSmono

Enlightened
I jumped at Deland in 1993. Video brings back some memories. There's nothing quite like tumbling out of an airplane at 14 grand and living to tell about it.

Ha, wild! Small world. And I agree with your last statement... when I think about what exactly I did yesterday, I get chills!

bltkmt

Enlightened
The concept is fascinating to me, but I would rather die first. I get dizzy looking out of high-rise windows.

KingSmono

Enlightened
The concept is fascinating to me, but I would rather die first. I get dizzy looking out of high-rise windows.

I'm surprisingly not too fond of heights myself... but for some reason jumping out of a plane didn't phase me. I think it's because you don't have any points of reference when you're up there, so you don't really realize how high you are, or how fast you're falling.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Wiiii! :) Something I absolutely MUST do!

Nice video! made me really wanna jump out of a plane! :eek:oo:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That looked very cool, Allen. I think this turtle will keep his wings folded. I almost tried it many moons ago while in college. My parents wouldn't sign off on it, and I think I was relieved. My roomate did it, once. I think it scared him, alot. At that time it was a static line solo jump. My brother was an Airborne Ranger and jumped many times, but I don't think he liked it much.

Congratulations!

Geoff

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loved it as well!!!!! a truly amazing feeling:party: :thumbsup: :eek: ;) :devil:
really wasn't that scary
hope to do a solo in a few months.

008Small.jpg

BVH

Flashaholic
Definitely on my To-Do list when I retire! Good Job!

I want to do it at least once in my life. Took a P-51 Mustang ride in late 03, so this is next on my "thrills" list. How much does the primary chute slow you down initially (is that its purpose?) and why do they deploy it shortly after jumping?

When you first jumped out, was the feeling just like going down the first drop on a roller coaster and if so, how long did the feeling last - until you got up to max speed?

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had the awesome experience of tandem skydiving in Hawaii from 13,500 ft. The instructor took me into a full flip and a full spin. I was told freefall speed is 120 mph. It is a rush and not scary at all...roller coasters are more scary!!!!
I'm surprisingly not too fond of heights myself... but for some reason jumping out of a plane didn't phase me. I think it's because you don't have any points of reference when you're up there, so you don't really realize how high you are, or how fast you're falling.

swampgator

Enlightened
My brother was an Airborne Ranger and jumped many times, but I don't think he liked it much.
A static line from a C-130 or C-141 is nothing like skydiving. Somewhere I have a shirt that says:

"I dont care how many skydives you have, until you've jumped from a C-130 moving at 120 knots, with 150lbs of equipment strapped to your body, into the pitch-black night at 800 feet, youre still a LEG!"

But I still get a kick out of watching a low level mass tactical exit.

However the best jump ever, IMO, is a rear exit from a Chinook helicopter.
KingSmono said:
I think it's because you don't have any points of reference when you're up there, so you don't really realize how high you are, or how fast you're falling
At Benning they start you out in the sawdust pits, but you're first real test is exiting at 34 feet. Somewhere, someone determined if you'll jump from this height you'll jump from any height. But what scared the crap out of me was the 250 foot towers.

For me, if I could make out structures on the ground, ie people, cars, etc, I got nervous. Once I couldn't really see much more than patterns I was alright.

I never jumped Deland. It was always on my list of places to jump, being the Mecca of Florida Skydiving. Did quite a few jumps in Williston, as well as Palatka, which are just outside of Gainesville.

Personally I found it to an addictive hobby. Unfortunately a broken back at age 21 curtailed a thriving interest in the sport. However both of my orthopedic surgeons said I should be able to jump now (note more than surgeon, so I'm sure it would a good idea).

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
Wiiii! :) Something I absolutely MUST do!

Nice video! made me really wanna jump out of a plane! :eek:oo:
Thanks, I was rather pleased with the video-quality, considering he did all the editing and it was in my hand literally 15 mins after the jump!

You should seriously do it! If I ever make it back to Interlachen, Switzerland, I'm definitely going to do it again, but over the Swiss Alps. What an amazing view that would be!

That looked very cool, Allen. I think this turtle will keep his wings folded. I almost tried it many moons ago while in college. My parents wouldn't sign off on it, and I think I was relieved. My roomate did it, once. I think it scared him, alot. At that time it was a static line solo jump. My brother was an Airborne Ranger and jumped many times, but I don't think he liked it much.

Congratulations!

Geoff
Haha, thankfully my parents didn't need to sign off on it, or I think I would've remained grounded as well... but I had to sign this EXTENSIVE form, and initial it in about 2 dozen places, recognizing that I may die, or be permanently injured, etc.

Loved it as well!!!!! a truly amazing feeling:party: :thumbsup: :eek: ;) :devil:
really wasn't that scary
hope to do a solo in a few months.
Good luck when you do the solo jump! That picture is amazing.

Definitely on my To-Do list when I retire! Good Job!

I want to do it at least once in my life. Took a P-51 Mustang ride in late 03, so this is next on my "thrills" list. How much does the primary chute slow you down initially (is that its purpose?) and why do they deploy it shortly after jumping?

When you first jumped out, was the feeling just like going down the first drop on a roller coaster and if so, how long did the feeling last - until you got up to max speed?

That chute that they deploy shortly after exiting the plane is called a "drogue chute." (I didn't know either, so I looked it up.) Here's a snippet from Wikipedia on it:

It's purpose is to slow the freefall speed of two people down to that of a single skydiver. This is necessary for proper parachute deployment, lengthening the duration of the skydive, and allowing the skydivers to fall at the same speed as videographers.

And when I first jumped out, your stomach does drop for just a few seconds (like on a roller coaster) but it is brief... and IMO, it's only because you're next to a point of reference (the airplane) which lets you realize just how quickly you're falling. Once the plane is out of view, you don't have anything to compare to, it just feels like there's a huge fan blowing air up on you, and you're just floating... it doesn't feel like you're dropping... if that made any sense.

At Benning they start you out in the sawdust pits, but you're first real test is exiting at 34 feet. Somewhere, someone determined if you'll jump from this height you'll jump from any height. But what scared the crap out of me was the 250 foot towers.

For me, if I could make out structures on the ground, ie people, cars, etc, I got nervous. Once I couldn't really see much more than patterns I was alright.

I never jumped Deland. It was always on my list of places to jump, being the Mecca of Florida Skydiving. Did quite a few jumps in Williston, as well as Palatka, which are just outside of Gainesville.

Personally I found it to an addictive hobby. Unfortunately a broken back at age 21 curtailed a thriving interest in the sport. However both of my orthopedic surgeons said I should be able to jump now (note more than surgeon, so I'm sure it would a good idea).
To me, those low height jumps would be WAY scarier than jumping from 14k feet. Seriously!

Was the broken back due to a skydiving incident??!

Now that you Skydived, are you going to try this?
LOL! Screw that!! :crackup:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Man, first I have to say that was a kick *** video, in terms of capturing before, during, after....and some really amazing scenes like exiting the plane. They knew what they were doing. I loved that panic-smile while still in the plane....exactly what I would have looked like. Thanks for sharing that experience & video.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Cool vid and some memories of a couple static line jumps with a 32' double L back in c1970 from 2900'. I asked the guy who packed my chute how long I would have to deploy the reserve in the event of a total malf. His reply: "The rest of your life." :crackup: There was a radio receiver strapped on the top of the reserve, and they talked you down. "Jumper turn left." Why do I want to turn left- I'm headed for the bullseye? Second jump the radio didn't work, but I watched that windsock the whole way down! :D

Larry