New L1 Cree arrived - may NOT need to be modded....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its VERY bright, maybe an over-acheiver. The tint is perfect on high and just barely a tint of green on low. The beam pattern is perfect with no sloppiness in the hotspot or the surround as I've had in the past. I STILL wouldn't mind a lower low. So far I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'll take it to work tonight and use it in the real world. I really can't tell the difference between this and an E1B I just recently sold. Should I still get it modded? I'm debating it...

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its VERY bright, maybe an over-acheiver. The tint is perfect on high and just barely a tint of green on low. The beam pattern is perfect with no sloppiness in the hotspot or the surround as I've had in the past. I STILL wouldn't mind a lower low. So far I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'll take it to work tonight and use it in the real world. I really can't tell the difference between this and an E1B I just recently sold. Should I still get it modded? I'm debating it...

Wait until the R5's are out, and it may be worth your while. I have a Q2 Fenix P1D that I can't bring myself to mod just yet. Patience will be rewarded with many lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I really can't tell the difference between this and an E1B I just recently sold.
For me there is a significant difference between the L1 and the E1B.
The L1 isn't too short like the E1B is.
The L1 has SureFire's excellent knurling, unlike the E1B.
The L1 has SureFire's excellent two-stage pressure switch, unlike the E1B.
The L1 has a more secure pocketclip than the E1B.

From my perspective, and for my uses the L1 is significantly better suited to my needs compared to the E1B. I can't imagine the situation in which I would select an E1B (or E1L) over an L1.

Al :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a L1 and E1B recently, and the output is more or less the same, but my L1 actually has a tad more output than the E1B. I have a feeling the newer L1's were brought up to the same specs as the E1B. Maybe SF will update their website once there aren't many of the older L1's around.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just returned my EB1 and got the L1 Cree. I returned the EB1 because of the problems I was having with the interface. I love the L1. No problems with switching between high and low, although I will have to get used to twisting the tail to constant on. Frequently, the EB1 would mis cycle and stay in high when I would have preferred low.

I like that low is the default on the L1, rather than high as on the EB1. The color of the LED on my L1 is warmer than than on the EB1 with better color rendition, the best I have seen with any LED light. The beam of the L1 is much better focused, and although it gives out only 65 lumens on max, appears nearly as bright as the EB1.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just returned my EB1 and got the L1 Cree. I returned the EB1 because of the problems I was having with the interface. I love the L1. No problems with swithing between high and low, although I am will have to get used to twisting the tail to constant on. Frequently, the EB1 would mis cycle and stay in high when I would have preferred low.

I like that low is the default on the L1, rather than high as on the EB1. The color of the LED on my L1 is warmer than than on the EB1 with better color rendition, the best I have seen with any LED light. The beam of the L1 is much better focused, and although it gives out only 65 lumens on max, appears nearly as bright as the EB1.

Glad you like your L1. I could tell from following your thread that there was no way the E1B would satisfy you. I would have probably switched lights too.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my perspective, and for my uses the L1 is significantly better suited to my needs compared to the E1B. I can't imagine the situation in which I would select an E1B (or E1L) over an L1.

Oh I meant in terms of output. However I do agree with your assessments of the L1. When I had the E1B, I was always afraid of it slipping out of my hand cuz of the smooth finish....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Oh I meant in terms of output. However I do agree with your assessments of the L1. When I had the E1B, I was always afraid of it slipping out of my hand cuz of the smooth finish....
The output is the same. I'm not sure whether it is exactly the same, or meant to be exactly the same, but I've been able to compare a variety of E1B's and L1's and some are brighter than others, some have slightly different beams to others. I conclude that there is some natural variation and that I can not see any trends enabling me to tell an L1 beam from an E1B beam.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Al... maybe you should look at the context of his post, reading the whole text.

I think he was talking about the difference in the light itself and throw between his new L1 and the old EB1.

Probably he was saying that he can´t see between their throw/light

And because... all the differences that you wrote are too obvious.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops... I posted here before I read the whole thread. :ohgeez:

But, that was exactly like I thought.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well quite. ;)

Regardless of whether there are any differences between the design and output of the E1B and L1 beams (which I doubt) I think this thread is starting to show that output alone doesn't a flashlight make.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I could always toss an R6 in it when they come out... But I've had a Cree L1 in the past and liked it as well. But this one seems brighter.

iveseenthelite

Newly Enlightened
i picked up an L1 cree yesterday, used it at work today. in a fairly dark cooler in a meat plant. it is a phenomenal light, my new edc. low stage is just enough light at an arms' length, and high throws very well for a single cell.

Spence

Enlightened
I have the E1B and like it very much for its' design intentions. I also have the E1E and E1L but they don't offer the confident feel in my hand and the near perfect performance, use, and aesthetic appearance that I love and hold dear with my L1 Cree. It goes in a pocket, carried in a belt holster or hung from a lanyard, the perfect EDC.

Spence
buttrock.gif

Numbers

Enlightened
The sense of this thread is comforting.
SF where is the upgraded L2 with it's proper switch? I need something to buy.
Prehaps its possible that these new UI's E1B, E1L, E2L are trial balloons that wont fly for long - time will tell.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with most of what you say. However, I really don't like the pocket clip on the L1. It forces you to store the flashlight with the bezel up, making the head of the light stick up out of a shirt or pants pocket. The only use I could possibly see for this clip would be using it to attach the light to a cap.

The clip on the EB1 allows you to carry the light with either the bazel up or down.