Is there a Clickie Tailcap For the SF L1 Cree

tompen

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone has made a Clickie Tailcap yet for the SF L1 Cree. I love the light but do not like the UI, would much prefer one like my E1B or E1L, rather than the twist to turn on UI. Does anybody know if there has been a replacement made for this light?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Note that the L1 (and other SureFire two-stage pressure switch TailCap models) can be activated by pressing the pressure switch button. I don't get the impression that it is normal to twist the TailCap rather than using the push button. Also, I don't think its unusual for users, myself included, to tend not to use the constant-on (twist) functions as a routine.

I very much doubt anybody will make a clickie TailCap to 'replace' the SureFire two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap.

Barbarian

Enlightened
Many consider the SF tailcap for the L1 (same as the L2 and A2) one of the best, if not the best tailcap design and UI available for a non-clicky. I suggest you try the momentary function as Al (size 15's) has described and see if you don't become a convert.

:thumbsup:

tompen

Newly Enlightened
"I don't get the impression that it is normal to twist the TailCap rather than using the push button. Also, I don't think its unusual for users, myself included, to tend not to use the constant-on (twist) functions as a routine."

I agree that we don't tend to use the constant-on most of the time. I just find it more comfortable for me to be able to push further to click on when I want to rather than have to twist the tailcap, especially if going to high, it is quite a twist on the L1 to get to high. I guess I am spoiled with the E2E, 1EB, and I even changed my 6P to a clickie. Over all the L1 is my favorite light, but it would be even better IMHO, if it had a click on tailcap, or if a replacement were available for it.

Thanks for the replys and information from everyone, this is a great forum for information and help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well it's good to have a [the first?] discussion on how many people routinely use the constant-on functions and related to that whether there is a desire, prevailing or otherwise for a two-stage clickie...

SureFire have experimented with a two-stage Clickie for the Kroma and similar models. I have used such a proto-type and found it to be less intuitive and not particularly KISS. I ended up swapping back to a standard two-stage.

I am somewhat of an advocate for SureFire's two-stage pressure switches and I hope I wear my bias openly in that I generally don't like Clickies and I specifically tend to dislike any multi-click/tap/twist etc UI [including the new dual output SureFire models E1B/E1L/E2L]

dmz

Enlightened
I love the new dual output SureFire models E1B/E1L/E2L. Clicking the tailcap button is easier than using 2 hands to twist a tailcap especially if you are carrying something or turning a key with the other hand.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't needed to use 2 hands when twisting the tailcap for constant on:thinking:

Best 2-stage switch on the marked IMHO. Glad they are using something like it on the new UA2 and UB2:thumbsup:

Sverre

dilbert

Enlightened
I haven't needed to use 2 hands when twisting the tailcap for constant on:thinking:

Exactly... I've never understood the two hands complaint. When I do need to switch to constant-on (very rare) I just twist it with my thumb and forefinger of the hand that's holding the light. That great Surefire knurling is good for more than just looks. I wish more Surefire lights had the same switch UI as the L1.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly... I've never understood the two hands complaint. When I do need to switch to constant-on (very rare) I just twist it with my thumb and forefinger of the hand that's holding the light. That great Surefire knurling is good for more than just looks. I wish more Surefire lights had the same switch UI as the L1.

This technique works fine when turning to a constant Low. You only have to twist a 1/4 of a turn. But isn't this awkward when you then need a constant high and have to turn the endcap several turns? Fortunately, most of the time I don't need a constant high beam.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be an odd duck. My L1 switch usage is approximately 60% twist-low, 30% twist-high, and 10% momentary high or low. When my light comes on, it stays on while I accomplish what I need to do, typically with both hands. This characterizes my in-house/nighttime application for this light.

Since I overwhelmingly use a one-hand twist to activate, I take special care to insure that my tailcap O-ring is clean and regularly lubricated with a low-viscosity synthetic lubricant. As a result, the twist action is smooth and easy.

For my usage, the low-high progression is appropriate. Now, could I see a benefit to a clickie interface for low-high? Yes, I think so. But to make it KISS, the switching paradigm (as well as the internals) would have to be completely rethought. Here's what I see as an example of a "correct" two-stage clickie assuming that sequential multiclick activation of modes is undesirable.

1. Depress 75% of travel then release - to "clicktivate" low
2. Depress 95% of travel then release - to "clicktivate" high

What this means is that <75% of travel, you are in momentary LOW, after the 75% click point, if released, you are on constant on LOW.

From here, if you push again to 75% and click and release, you go OFF, never having accessed HIGH.

However, if you continue pushing the switch to 95% travel, at that click point you are now in constant on HIGH never having gone OFF.

Now here's the novel pattern. At this point, click to 75% to reactivate constant LOW or click to 95% to click off constant HIGH.

And there you have it, I think. An intuitive click interface, single depression to activate and deactivate either high or low modes. Because it is a click switch, it would require tactile feedback which implies that that the mechanical design must contribute that action. Perhaps a concentric, serial click mechanism. However, the actual switching could be electronic in nature.

Wilkey