Fenix T1 issues...any shared experiences?

jlomein

Enlightened
I just got my clipless Fenix T1 in the mail today, and overall, am pretty satisfied with it.

Some things I do question. First, the LED is very deep in the bezel, and it appears as if most of the LED is recessed behind the reflector, instead of sitting level with it. I have seen pictures of other T1's (like WadeF's below) that seem to have the same issue. Is this normal? Wouldn't the spill light be brighter if the LED was more level with the bottom of the reflector?

Another concern I have is that the two stage rotating bezel has some contact problems. To get to Turbo mode, the bezel must be screwed very tightly. If it is not, it will hit an in between mode where it is brighter than the Low mode, not quite Turbo, and tends to flicker. I have not read about anyone else having this issue.

Finally, my Cree LED is not completely yellow. I thought Q5's had the entire LED dome tinted yellow? Mine has a yellow die, but the dome is clear/translucent.

I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As usual, try clean the top/bottom of battery tube and the contact ring on circuit board/tailcap. See if this fix your problem. Cree dome is always clear, just from some angle it looks yellow because you are really looking at the magnified die.

As for recess, my guess is because cree emit light at 120° it's not necessary to have led sit entirely inside reflector.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Hiya,

hope these helps ...

1. It is normal for the Q5 to sit behind the reflector. It was meant to be a thrower, so spill is of slightly lower priority .

2. You tried cleaning the thread where the head screws into ? It has happened to mine a few time, and it always goes away after stripping it down totally and cleaning all the threads with DeOxit and ProGold .

3. My dome is clear too . . . I think all Q5's are like this

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. The LED has to be at the right focus point, if not, there would be hole in the hotspot.

2. Try cleaning the contacts, if that doesn't help, then you can request a new light.

3. Do you mean only the die has yellow phosphor? That would mean you got a newer Cree XR-E with no extra phosphor.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LED were to sit further into the reflector it would mean that the yellow ring of light that comes straight out the side of the XR-E would be projected as a yellow ring in the beam.

Although, the newer XR-E's that do not have the entire PCB coated with phosphor will probably not have this issue anymore.

jlomein

Enlightened
3. Do you mean only the die has yellow phosphor? That would mean you got a newer Cree XR-E with no extra phosphor.

Crazy...I asked since I was comparing it to my Modamag Drake (Cree XRE P4 or something) which appears completely yellow on the LED.

I was asking about the LED seating in relation to the reflector mainly because of beam issues. In white wall testing, there is a dark ring/donut around the hotspot, between where the hotspot and spill beam meet. I thought it could be related to how recessed the LED is.

Thanks for all the contact cleaning tips, I'll be sure to try that out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most Cree LED lights seem to have that ring around the hotspot. I think it might have something to do with the metal ring below the dome.

Latest posts