KD AAA buckle disection and emitter replacement

copperfox

Enlightened
Recently, my Kaidomain AAA SSC-U "buckle" flashlight took a trip through the washing machine and the dryer. After taking it apart and testing it, I found the Seoul emitter to be dead. The NiMH inside was just fine. I ordered a replacement emitter from DX and today it came in. I figured that it was worth $5 to fix instead of just throwing it away. Plus, modding is fun :thumbsup:

Sorry for poor quality pictures. The reflector is very small, measuring 5.5mm by 13mm. The heatsink is also 13mm outer diameter. It fits snugly inside the head of the light. The heatsink sits directly on top of the driver. The bottom of the driver's PCB has the gold plated cell contact points.

Here is the flashlight. It is a V2.
P1010168.jpg

Top view of the heatsink and emitter on a piece of cardboard. This is the replacement emitter on which I trimmed the leads:
P1010251.jpg

Another view, in my palm:
P1010256.jpg

Here is the driver. It's very difficult to see, but there are two wires coming out of it with white insulation. They are at the top in this picture.
P1010257.jpg

In it's stock form, the emitter sits on a small, square, tacky heat transfer pad. When I replaced the emitter I used Arctic alumina instead.

I learned my lesson. From now on I'll be extra careful to check my pockets before tossing pants into the laundry. :grin2:

Probedude

Enlightened
But how do you get the pill out?
I've seen a picture with what looks like the body segmented in two, but I didn't see any threads.

Latest posts