1st prostate exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need advise, I'm going to my first prostate exam. What questions should I ask and how offten is this done? Am I sweating over nothing,should I run like Hell?

chiphead

Burgess

Flashaholic
All joking aside . . . .

(i'm sure you'll be getting plenty of wise-a$$ comments from others) :)

Nothing to worry about, or dread.

Really.

It might be the first time for YOU, but the Doctor
has performed this PLENTY of times already.

Just try to relax.

And you'll end up feeling GREAT when the results come back negative !

Good Luck.

:wave:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No, don't run.

Keep in mind that the individual examining you is a trained professional. He has done this sort of thing countless times.

Go in, get it over with, ask him what his professional opinion is, then go do something fun.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Been there, had it done. When the doc says "OK - everything seems good" - you'll be happy. Yeah, it's a tad uncomfortable the few seconds that he is doing the test, but not as uncomfortable as say stubbing your toe - or worse, dieing from unfound cancer

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I know the feeling....

Wasn't so bad afterwards! If everything is fine, then you'll be glad you did it! I wasn't looking forward to that visit either, you might feel a bit molested after ;) but since its a professional who have performed this before, you dont have anything to worry about!

1 what

Enlightened
Also been there, done that plus have a medical degree so been on the other side of the examination table countless times before I moved on to a speciality that didn't focus on that "end" NO That is not why I moved!
The examination yields very important data that can saves your life and is not replaced by a PSA (blood) test. If you think it's a little uncomfortable and invasive you should talk to a guy who's had prostate Ca...He'll tell you what uncomfortable and invasive is!
Just thank God you have a good Dr who cares enough to ask you to have this examination. You can always come up with some original line like "please be gentle...."
All the best.
Tom.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
The secret is to shake hands with several doctors to size up their hands, and then pick the smallest one you can find. :) The worst part by far is...the worrying beforehand :) It doesn't hurt or anything and doesn't take very long. If you like spicy food, then you've felt much worse than this checkup. Seriously -this really isn't a big deal at all. Realize that the doctor knows what to do and say so you really don't have to say anything clever- unless your local sports team is doing particularly well. Your part is actually pretty easy and boring even, so relax buddy.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
During my first one I say to the Dr: "I figure this is probably worse for you then it if for me" LOL

She got a good laugh.... as did I... :)

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Don't sweat it. Digital exams are mildly uncomfortable but necessary to deal with potential future problems. You can consciously try to relax. That usually does the trick.

For those who have had enlarged prostates and been through many "digitals," the following song might prove entertaining. :huh:

http://f2.org/humour/songs/crs.html

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
CH, I feel your anxiety.
Please relay your experience post exam, it should be helpful to quite a few people.

Spin

Enlightened
My Dr told me i was fortunate that he has small fingers. I told him "that means you have to go deeper to compensate".

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my appendix checked once (they check it through the same place just further up) and it really didn't hurt, but it really, really wrong feeling. Don't worry about it too much, good luck.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to try to tell this so it's family friendly ---

I grew up (since age 5) with a great lady doc. When I was a sophomore in HS, I developed a pimple in a very sensitive place. I hadn't been "exposed" but I had enough sense to visit her. I was worried as to what might happen, being 16 with rageing hormones, when she did a manual exam.

In the exam room, I described my problem. She told me to take my pants off while she stepped out. We'll skip the actual the exam part -- she had put her hands in the lab freezer for a minute or so and they were ice cold, thereby taking care of any of my concerns about an embarrassing reaction.

Seriously, don't sweat the prostate stuff. A few seconds of discomfort every year or so beats being dead. Particularly that kind of death.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
-- she had put her hands in the lab freezer for a minute or so and they were ice cold, thereby taking care of any of my concerns about an embarrassing reaction.

Now that's funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.