Budget stainless multimode Q-bin AA!

bspofford

Enlightened
Received a $15 Rexlight 2.1 002 upgrade kit today and inserted the included AR lens, reflector and multimode Q2 module in my Ultrafire stainless steel C3. The $20 stainless steel C3 has received great reviews for refined machining. The upgrade reflector is significantly deeper (longer), but the pill is shorter giving a total length similar to the Ultrafire setup.

Amazing combination for a total investment of $35! Here's the catch: KD is out of the Rex 2.1 upgrade kits and doesn't plan on ordering more unless demand warrants a new order.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'd buy a couple if available for the stainless C3 I have coming and whatever else it would fit. I have a aluminum C3 with a broken driver that I'd replace. I wonder how many people Kai'd need for a new order. I've seen in another thread that a couple of other people would have liked to have had them too. I have a couple of Rexlights coming, but don't want to cannibalize them for parts.

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth...put me down for a few modules. Been looking for them

TwoWheelNomad

Newly Enlightened
I'd be in for a few of those kits too. I have a stainless C3 on the way too.:thumbsup:

magic_elf

Banned
Wouldn't it be better to just request with the SS C3 fitted with the Rex 2.1 module to save the trouble? Should also be cheaper that way.

bspofford

Enlightened
KD has a policy of not accepting orders unless a product is in stock, and SKU#3992 on page 5 of the CREE lights is listed as available and ready to ship in 1-2 days. It is my understanding that this is a 4 pack of the multimode (10 modes in 3 groups) Rex 2.1 upgrade modules for $49.99 so grab them while you can! "This kit contains: 1) 1 x CREE Q2 Emitter, 2) 1 x All new Rexlight Superconstant driver, 3) 1 x New reflector with improved reflective curve, 4) 1 x AR coated glass lens, and 5) LED alignment sheet."

vetkaw63

Enlightened
KD has a policy of not accepting orders unless a product is in stock, and SKU#3992 on page 5 of the CREE lights is listed as available and ready to ship in 1-2 days. It is my understanding that this is a 4 pack of the multimode (10 modes in 3 groups) Rex 2.1 upgrade modules for $49.99 so grab them while you can! "This kit contains: 1) 1 x CREE Q2 Emitter, 2) 1 x All new Rexlight Superconstant driver, 3) 1 x New reflector with improved reflective curve, 4) 1 x AR coated glass lens, and 5) LED alignment sheet."

Which module is this, revision 0001 or 0002?
Thanks,
Mike

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the email I received 2 days ago regarding the $49.00 upgrade modules.

"Kaidomain.com (Sales)" <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Sir,

The item is collecting from our suppliers at these days. It is expected to be avaiable in these two weeks. Would you like to wait for it? Please let me know. Thanks.

Regards

Connie

bspofford

Enlightened
KD increased the price on a single Rex 2.1 002 module kit to $17.58 today. That price might also justify making the multiple module package $49.99 for three, not four. I was hoping that they would see this as an opportunity to sell more Ultrafire stainless steel C3 lights, rather than fewer Rexlights, and that they would keep the $15 for one and $49.99 for four pricing. I don't know their margins on the various items, but I suspect that the margin on an Ultrafire stainless steel C3 + a Rex 2.1 module would equal that on a Rexlight 2.1 light alone.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I have 2.0 module kit. I do not see real advantage of it over the stock SS light. Yes, it gives me the 5-mode but has PWM and it is not any brighter than the stock. 2.1 is a different story though.

- Vikas

bspofford

Enlightened
I realize that there may be some variations related to the bin lotto, but my side-by-side comparison of two stock Ultrafire stainless steel C3 lights (Q2 version from KD) and a third light with a P4 Rex 2.0 module, both using 14500 cells, suggests that the latter is significantly brighter. I suspect that the Ultrafire stainless actually has a P4 module. I don't know the PWM frequency of the Rex modules, but I don't notice any flickering on low modes.

I have a number of Rex 2.0 lights, and I'm using the 2.1 upgrades in them and putting the Rex 2.0 modules in my Ultrafire stainless C3 lights. (BTW, the Rex 2.0 lights have double o-rings on each end of the battery tube while the Rex 2.1 lights have only one. The Rex 2.0 lights are closer to black and have a lanyard while the Rex 2.1 lights are more brown and don't come with a lanyard.) I think that the Rex 2.0 already has a sapphire AR lens, so I'm putting the upgrade kit lens in the Ultrafire. These are really cool upgrades and easy for CPF members who want to play with mods without having to solder!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
As far as I can see Rex 2.0 and SS C3 both have P4. Even though KD claimed claimed that SS C3 came with Q2, that was later retracted. Mine is from KD and I suspect it is P4.

With my SS C3, it is always a pain to start threading either the cap or the head when there is a battery inside. I believe the threads are too fine and they need to be engaged just right. I tried silicon grease but that did not help much.

- Vikas

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2.0 module kit. I do not see real advantage of it over the stock SS light. Yes, it gives me the 5-mode but has PWM and it is not any brighter than the stock. 2.1 is a different story though.

- Vikas

I put my Rex 2.0 module in my SS also and got the same results as you.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Somebody who is not true flasholic but generlly likes gadgets; would he be impressed with G2 or with SS C3? Most people seemed to evaluate light by its throw rather than the overall output.

- Vikas

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
Interesting factoid. Just got my 2 Rexlights in today. Tried a JetBeam MKII AA extension on one and it fits and works. REX tailcap works too. Looks good, like it was made for the Rexlight, just says "JetBeam" on it. Makes it a nice 2AA light.

Next I tried a Jet 1 CR123 tube. The REX head wouldn't screw on the tube. Odd, since the MKIIR head will interchange on the REX AA body and vice versa, and the MKIIR head will screw down on the Jet 1 CR123 tube. Too bad, I'd like a CR123 body for the Rexlight.

In case anyone wants a JetBeam AA tube, HobbynGear still has them.
http://www.hobbyngear.com/cubecart/...Id=26&ccUser=ab6b09d4aebc30b889a4f00534e5b3df

bspofford

Enlightened
So here's a description of my under $40 shelf queen:

1) Ultrafire stainless steel C3 (14500) $20 at KD
2) Rexlight 2.1 upgrade kit with AR glass, new reflector, Q2 emitter & multimode circuit (this is an order of magnitude brighter, whiter, nicer beam multimode, and better regulated) $15 at KD but not currently available
3) Silver/gray lanyard $0.73 at KD
4) Green GITD o-rings and silicone clicky cover $0.50 at DX
5) Plus twenty minutes' elbow grease deburring threads and polishing with a 6" buffer using Ryobi #H-compound (Dremel buffer works too but takes a bit longer)

Wow! Since I only have about $36 invested, maybe I'll keep it in my pocket rather than on the shelf.:thumbsup:

20080318ShelfQueen.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts