Cravings

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Not sure if I'm unusual in this respect, but over the years I've gone through periods of intense food cravings. I wouldn't call them addictions, rather temporary insatiable appetites for particular items. These episodes can be short lived or they can last for months. They've included vinegar, soy sauce, salt, virgin mary's, sweetarts, pickles, piave veccio (cheese), potato chips dipped in peanut butter, and most recently, fresh grapefruit juice. Lately, I'm getting carpal tunnel from squeezing grapefruit.
Anybody else experience odd food cravings? Something that will drive you to Safeway at 11pm for relief?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
I don't have cravings per se, but my taste in food can be very fickle.
Sometimes when I find something new that I like, I have a tendency to eat it often, but I wouldn't really call it a "crave"...I don't think.

I'll find something I like, and go on eating it for a while, and one day I'll get it and just won't find it particularly enjoyable.

Drove my mother absolutely crazy growing up. I've always been a discerning eater (Mom calls it "picky" :p ), and just when she thought she'd found something I'd eat, I wouldn't like it anymore.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Hmmm. Looking at your list I notice most are on the acidic side: grapefruit juice, Sweetarts, etc. You can't get more acidic than vinegar, at least not food wise. I also notice salty: pickles, chips, soy sauce.

Oddly these are some of my most intense cravings too. Has to be some physiological/metabolic reason. I do sweat quite a bit when the least bit hot so maybe the salt is to help stop the loss of water or to replace salt lost????

The acidic craving I have no idea about. I absolutely love most sour/acidic things. Vinegar chips, vinegar based dressings, anything pickled (a 2-for1 since you get vinegar+salt :p ), sour patch kids, are things I must have when I want them.

Glad to know it's not just me.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I tend to go through the same thing. With me it's a case of liking a new food, going crazy with it for a while, and then often never eating it again. Right now I'm in the midst of a shelled peanut craze. :( At least this craving is relatively healthy, unlike some of my previous ones (one of the worst was bullion cubes when I was a kid).

There may indeed be a biological reason for this. Sometimes I'll just get cravings for sweets, for example. This may be because I'm particularly active and in need of quick energy, or perhaps just low on electrolytes. And the craving passing probably signals that I've had my fill of whatever it is that I craved.

Now I'm getting hungry... :whistle:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
...There may indeed be a biological reason for this. Sometimes I'll just get cravings for sweets, for example....
uh...I don't know that any of us has a biological shortage of sweets around here.....:whistle:

I love wasabi with my sushi, but I imagine it has a payoff in that the heat tricks my brain into being satiated with fewer calories than something else (say ribs...) would. SORT of healthier for me than other alternatives...

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go through similar each month when my cycle hits...oh wait a minute...that's with females. (usually) ;)

Seriously, I was joking with my doc and he said that men can have monthly cycles but he commented it was mostly mood related. So taking that, I suppose you could develop desires for certain foods. Me, I like fried things...potato chips, shrimp tempura, French fries...

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, cravings here too. Sesame oil, pickles, taco salad, certain fruits or vegetables. When it's healthy(bananas, oranges, etc.) I'll indulge to my heart's content, but when it's not(craving cream filled donuts right now) I have to avoid all contact whatsoever. I'm on a pretty strict eating regimen and od'ing on donuts could kill me.

The male-monthly-cycle thing is interesting. Like clockwork, when it's that time of the month for my wife, I get zits. :thinking:

:buddies:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Oh my... That idea sounds like it has potential. Do you have a recommended chip for this type of treat? We have a place here that has peanut butter burgers... Yum!

My chip of choice is ruffles or lays. Lately, the ruffles "natural" -a little less fat and salt, and more potato flavor. Creamy laura scudders natural is my butter of choice. At least that was the combo today for lunch:devil:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds somewhat like cribbing. Even animals do it. Usually it's something your body is missing ie minerals etc or sometimes it's certain foods we eat for comfort. One of the strongest comfort zones on your body is your mouth ie anybody enjoyed a good long kiss from the wife or girlfriend lately? I usually crave chocolate like many people, it's loaded with magnesium which has a mellowing tranquil effect on the body. It's all connected in one way or another.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Hmmm. Looking at your list I notice most are on the acidic side: grapefruit juice, Sweetarts, etc. You can't get more acidic than vinegar, at least not food wise. I also notice salty: pickles, chips, soy sauce.

For other reasons, I've learned that my body pH has been highly acidic for years. I'm taking an alkalizer to counteract that condition and it does not seem to affect the cravings. Also, depending upon the source, some acidic foods like grapefruit juice cause an alkaline influence when metabolized. Others like cranberry juice, do the opposite.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sometimes I've just got to have some canned sardines or herring. I figure it's genetic. There's either a fisherman or a hobo in my heritage.

Geoff