Any CPFers see this? A meteor hit the Chicago.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
A meteor hit the Chicago south suburbs last night.

Here's a link to a news video. The video might not work for everyone.

They must have thought they were under attack!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Great, now Saddam is throwing rocks at us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's amazing that that piece of rock came slamming down so hard it lit up the sky at night, but didn't do much damage, and thankfully, no one was hurt.

I can only imagine how paranoid some people might've been had this been something more dire than can be mentioned.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaarrgh..... Iraq is throwing rocks. It's a cover-up by the Homeland Defense dept so we're not scared... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
The video didn't work for me but here is my own meteor story.

I saw a meteor one night while driving east on I-10 80 miles out of Jacksonville. It was in the winter of 1996 about 4AM when there it was 5-10 degree above the horizon moving in what appeared to be north and moving very rapidly. It was close enough that I could see the fire boiling off the sides very clearly and it lit up the sky. It had a very long tail with what looked like small pieces falling off. There is no way to know if it was one mile in front of me or 100 miles since I had no reference for size. I saw it for about 3 seconds then it disappeared behind the trees. It lost very little altitude while I saw it. I must assume it was a smaller size meteor and very close to me because I could never find a report in the papers or on TV. It looked just like something out of a movie. I have dropped lots of bombs and fired several missiles but they were nothing compared to the awesome site I saw that night. My best guess on size, including the fire, would be basketball court size if it was 1 mile in front of me, it was big.

PS No other cars were around me and no I had hadn't been drinking. I was driving all night to Jacksonville for a job interview. (wasted trip, except for the meteor)

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a little search that you folks can do in your spare time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Go over to Google and enter these search parameters; Chicago+meteorites+Peshtigo. It has been conjectured that the Great Chicago Fire, the Peshtigo, Wisconsin fire and numerous fires on the Michigan peninsula were caused by the same meteorite shower (Oct. 8, 1871). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I caught a short blurb about this on KCPQ-13 last night, but haven't heard anything since. A reporter was holding a rocky meteorite (or maybe just a rock) about the size of a common softball, and saying that several pieces like that rained down in a Chicago suburb but that nobody was hurt.