My time to "Shine"

Carpenter

Enlightened
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my exciting past weekend with everyone.

Over the weekend, my place of emplyment lost power. Nobody knew about it until the backup generator ran out of gas and the computer system UPS started calling everyone saying it was on battery power. Well, lucky for me, I have a small arsenal of SureFire lights in my locked cabinet. I was always the one getting poked at by people I work with; "You'll never need those in here." and the famous non-flashaholic "We have our (stock) Maglights if something comes up."

Well you guessed it, the Mag lights were partially if not fully dead. :ohgeez: The ones that were working were very dim :candle: compared to even my stock E1E. Needless to say the Mag's were put to the side and my arsenal was used by key people here to put gas back into the generator, walk around the darkened hallways and shut down all the computer equipment before the UPS batteries drained.

Some comments I heard:
  • The standard: "Dang, that thing is bright."
  • The second standard: "Boy these lights get hot after a while" This one was from one of the VP's who came in to help. He was using my M6 :D. He used it so much it ate the 6 lithiums that were in it using the LOLA. I had to give him a different light (LED) since I couldn't have him eating 6 cells an hour since my reserve lithium supply was low.
  • The one that I never thought about: "How do you turn this thing on." (Using the tailcap to turn the lights on/off came naturally to me when I first started using high end lights. I assumed it would for everyone else also)
My A2 (white) was more than enough for me to see what I needed to. I even placed my SureFire Hurricane light in a key location to help guide people who didn't have lights through a very dark area. :thumbsup: WooHoo, I found a purpose for that thing after all.

I basically went through about a box of CR123's until they restored power as the generator took a while to get going again since it ran dry. I just restocked my cell supply and I am ready for the next outage.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job. It's always the nay sayers that are first to utilize that which they critisized. Hopefully they'll help replace some of the spent cells.
:thumbsup:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Another good story! A lot of quality lights too. What illumination tools would you use for an extended black out? Think anyone will get decent lights now after this event? :whistle: