reliable EDC flashlight???

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a thing? I purchased a Jetbeam MKII R and had some difficulty getting it to light. I had to twist that tailcap real tight. It worked for a couple of months, and then stopped dead. New batteries, checked out contacts nothing will get it going again. This was my first jump into the new "higher" end LED flashlights. Boooo. Christmas came and my sister got me a AA Maglite LED and I was pretty happy to have a flashlight again. It worked well till about 2 weeks ago when it started to flicker when I tried to turn it on. If I wiggled either the tailcap or the head and held it just right the light would stay on. This is no longer the case. All it does is flicker a little and won't stay on no matter what I try. Boooo. I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for a solid and simple flash light that actually will work as one should. At this point I don't want to pay more than 50.00 since I really can't afford to be burned again with a crappy light. I liked the size of the single AA and brightness of the Jetbeam. AAs are everywhere and that made it easy. But come on 2 months and then dead? Jeesh the website printed on the flashlight itself is not even working. boooo.
I look forward to anyones ideas or suggestions.
Also I do have a Photon Micro-light II which works well but I keep misplacing it (too small for me I think) but I need something a bit brighter.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are interested in a single cell AA EDC flashlight, you might want to check out the Olight T-15 Q5. It comes in just under $50 at Fenix-store.com if you use the discount code cpf8 (free shipping). It is very well built and should withstand some abuse. EliteLED.com also has this light with an extra body tube on a special deal that would let you use CR123 cells as well. This effectively gives you two lights, the T15 and the T10. The T10 has a peak output of 180 lumens with the CR123 cell. The T15 with the AA cell gives you 120 lumens. The package price for this is about $55 plus shipping.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, there is such a thing as a reliable EDC and many of use have them.

Try this on the Jetbeam, loosen the tailcap retaining ring a bit. This might fix the light because the ring might have been slowly tightened everytime you twisted the tailcap and the ring is now almost too far into the talicap for it to make contact with the body of the light.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the idea Gunner12. Alas still nothing. I took out the little red plastic inner retainer, and backed out the outer brass sleeve inside the cap a bit, tried a number of slight changes. still nothing - not a wink. Thanks again for trying.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try open the tailcap and use a paper clip as a tailcap, if it light then the tail cap switch is a problem.

john46268

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while since I checked, but isn't the MKII.R still under warranty? I'd check it out. I bet they'll fix you up.

Good luck.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks for the help. I have a friend that has a Jetbeam MkII and made some swaps to narrow down the problem. My tail cap on her body works fine, so it's not the tail cap. My head on her body however does not work. Neither her head or tail cap works on my body. My guess is there is something wrong with the emitter itself. I have contacted Bugout gear to see what my options might be for a replacement... Fingers crossed.
-Chris

cv3po

Banned
agreed, as long as it doesnt have a clickie switch. jk
fenix lights have a really good reputation and are more in line with the cost of the jetbeam, they also now have an unlimited lifetime warranty if purchased through fenix-store.com thats pretty much unbeatable for the price.

+1 on that! Try an LOD or maybe this: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=334

Either of these are simple to use, VERY reliable and have some of the most efficient emitter/driver packages out there.............especially for the price! As far as the Magled 2aa goes, that one seems to have been poorly designed by most accounts. Either Fenix will serve you MUCH better :twothumbs

Cydonia

Enlightened
Your MiniMag LED 2AA might have a loose LED. The LED's are held in place like a clip and can work their way free. Don't throw the MM away yet, it might be salvageable, just have to press the LED back in place.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Another vote for the Fenix L0x (that is 1AAA) twisty lights as a very reliable lights
+1
My L0D RB80 has been on my keychain everyday to work since Thanksgiving. It is, hands down, the most powerful and reliable flashlight in my collection, regardless of size, format, or $$$.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 has seen almost daily carry for close to three years now and works as well as the day I got it, and just as bright.

+1
My L0D RB80 has been on my keychain everyday to work since Thanksgiving. It is, hands down, the most powerful and reliable flashlight in my collection, regardless of size, format, or $$$.

Then you would be amazed at how bright a 65 lumen L1 Cree is.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
If you want a AA light, I can't recommend the Peak Pacific highly enough; it will not let you down. It is single stage, so that might be a downside if you like digital control.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
If you are interested in a single cell AA EDC flashlight, you might want to check out the Olight T-15 Q5.....This effectively gives you two lights, the T15 and the T10. The T10 has a peak output of 180 lumens with the CR123 cell.

I am currently using the T10 as EDC, and am very happy with it. My bigger lights, M1T, MRV etc. stay in my coat pockets !

Latest posts