L1 or E2L

L1 or E2L

• Total voters

GK911

Newly Enlightened
Well. I'm having a tought time deciding between the L1 and the E2L, and no I can't get both. What do you all think? The simple dual level rocks. Will the E2L 3 lumen low be too low? The longer runtime is real attractive on both hi and low. Althought the size on the L1 is sweet too. I'd appreciate any comments from any new owners of the new dual level E2L.... Thanks

Fooboy

Enlightened
L1.

E2L seems nice for a hiking / utility light. The deal breaker for me is that it comes on ON LOW and you have to switch modes to go to high. From this respect, I like the quick and intuitive L1 as the harder you press, the more light you get. It's more of a "tactical" light in that respect.

If you want a more tactical light, get L1. If you want more of a hiking / utility light ... get the E1L or E2L.

Make sure to call optics HQ when you order and tell them you are a CPF member.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1.
Make sure to call optics HQ when you order and tell them you are a CPF member.

Who is "optics HQ"?

My vote is for the L1. I never owed the EL1, but its interface is very similar to the EB1 Backup which I owned for a short time. (The only difference is that with the Backup it comes on in high, first and you press the button halfway and it shifts to low) However, that button is tricky to use in that if you didn't pause just the right amount of time between presses, it skips changing outputs. The L1 interface is much more simple and dependable.

tsl

Enlightened
My vote is for the L1. I have an A2 and have had a L2, and the functionality of the dual-level tailcap is intuitive, simple, and a no-brainer. The clicking to get the different levels on the E2L (as well as the Backup) is much less elegant IMO.

Saiga

Enlightened
I love my L1, and was considering the new "Backup" for a while, but now i'm seriously consisdering the E1L, specifically for the 3 lumen low level. Everyone's always going on and on about the "tactical" aspects, yet i'm confident very few here are SWAT team members that really have a need for this.I use my lowest levels all the time,but the high levels most often for goofing off, blinding freinds and relatives.( My L1 was a BIG hit at last saturdays poker game, lemme tell ya !! ) Also, i'm probably not getting any more two lithium lights,the technology has reached the point that a single battery light is more than efficient enough for most realistic purposes,without the two-battery potential problems.
I've already called the boys at OpticsHQ for a price quote on the E1L, and i'm just waiting for the two level version to arrive.:D

bigfoot

Enlightened
Saiga, I think you will like the new E1L. The 3 lumen low is brighter than I thought it would be. Enough to walk around the dark house, read a map, etc. The 45 lumen high should be plenty for most other things. And there's always that F04 beamshaper if you need more flood than throw.

I also have the E1B, and they are both nice lights, but I think I prefer the low mode coming on first such as the E1L does for a utility/outdoors light.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Tactical medic (for 17 years) & if I need a "tactical" light (whatever that REALLY is?) I take a single level light that gives me a set amount of light, each & every time I need it. I always enjoy listening to the "arm chair comandos" telling us about "tactical this" and tactical that". The L1 or E2L (for me anyway) is a EDC/ secondary light. I have an L1 and never use it, using one of my NovaTacs (best lights I've ever owned) as my EDC/ secondary light. Just my .02 FWIW

mbw_151

Enlightened
I voted for the L1 because I like the 1 cell form factor and the switch action. If the question had been L1 or E1L then it would be an even tougher call. The resistor low of the L1 looses some points for inefficiency. What I really want is 45/12/3 Lumens and one cell, the Surefire version of the NovaTac or HDS lights. The 10 and 2.5 Lumen levels are the ones I use the most.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an old style L1. I didn't care for the switch. I'd rather have the clicky. My preference is that it comes on low first, so I win there too.

My vote goes to the E2L.

Chao

Enlightened
I like My L1, the low level 10 lumens is enough for general use. However if you can only buy one, I would suggest E2L, I like the throw and the stable long runtime, the 3 lumens low level is bright enough in the complete darkness.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like My L1, the low level 10 lumens is enough for general use. However if you can only buy one, I would suggest E2L, I like the throw and the stable long runtime, the 3 lumens low level is bright enough in the complete darkness.

I agree.

Spence

Enlightened
I doubt you'd ever be sorry you got the L1, it's an awesome feeling and performing unit. However, whichever you choose, spend the extra $12 on the SF L04 Beamshaper Difuser filter. It just slips on and off any 1" SF bezel and truly doubles the functionality of your light, by removing the hotspot and emitting a flood of totally usable light. Without the Difuser, you have a respectable throw beam.
Spence
:thumbsup:
buttrock.gif

GK911

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm definitely going with the L1. It appears the new two level in the head design is not winning over many folks. I hate to say it, but did Sure-fire miss the mark? I would have thought that the newer models would have fared better.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I wouldn't say they missed the mark; each light has its own strengths and weaknesses. It all depends on what you need your light for.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have similar dilemma as well. I understand how the L1 works and I like how it turns on low first. But I dislike twisty, So my preference would be the E2L.
However, I read some people have been complaining about the way E1B switches between level. Can anyone elaborate more on that issue?
This has gotten me worried.