why no "white" flashlights ???

JoePhoto5

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me like "white" would be the best color for a flashlight.

I mean you usually only need a light in the dark, and a black light can be impossible to find when you need it the most.

Assuming there may be "some" light, a white flashlight would be much, much easier to find.

I think some have been made with a small blinking tail-light, a great idea. But a reflective white color would be a simple way to make it easier to find at no cost.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chrome, raw aluminum, and stainless steel work well. I guess the recent trend toward tactical lights has put a damper on non-black lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The reason why black is such a common color is because at one time, police officers in America used chrome lights. Then, during the era of Peace & Love, some officers were murdered by Counter-culture radicals; due to their lights giving away their position. Black-colored lights came out to put a stop to that.

That's why black is far more common than white.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor is that scratch resistant anodized coating (HA-III) is inherently black, gray, or brown.

Finally, when it comes to high power LED lights, a dark matte surface, like anodized aluminum is ideal for heat dissipation. Bright surfaces, particularly glossy/polished ones, are much worse at heat dissipation.

For incans, pretty much any of the above ideas would work great.

The tailcap indicator light is a good idea though. A tiny indicator LED drawing on the order of micro-amps would be visible in the dark, and would take decades to drain a 2AA light

cal..45

Enlightened
I think an all (optional) "glow in the dark" coat would be great, just like the tailcaps of dereelights for instance. it would also greatly enhance the grip and would be very helpful to find flashlights in the dark for those who don't have a need for tactical (stealthy)purposes...

regards, holger

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Brushed aluminum or stainless with tritium tube accents looks much better for that purpose, IMHO.

White always reminds me of toilets. Ipods, consumer electronics...etc... please not flashlights too.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FlikLites from 2003-2006 came to life again recently.
I played around with White & GITD Fliks back then.
GITDWhiteFLik.jpg

I would quite like to produce a White hard wearing light in the future.

thunderlight

Enlightened
I have wrapped a band of white tape around my black body red led X5. I use a light gray lanyard with my black body sconic. That lanyard originally came with a Swiss Army / Inova led flashlight. I use the X5 at amateur astronomy events.

The issue with white tape, electrical or "bandage" tape, is that it gets messy very quickly. So you need to replace it from time to time.

Thanks,
Bob

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a roll of high reflective tape from home depot and it's even better than white. I have some wrapped on my 3d mag.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FlikLites from 2003-2006 came to life again recently.
I played around with White & GITD Fliks back then.

GITDWhiteFLik.jpg

I would quite like to produce a White hard wearing light in the future.

HEY! My girlfriend has one of the lights in her dresser. I didn't know she was a flashaholic...undercover!!:shrug::thinking:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an all (optional) "glow in the dark" coat would be great, just like the tailcaps of dereelights for instance. it would also greatly enhance the grip and would be very helpful to find flashlights in the dark for those who don't have a need for tactical (stealthy)purposes...

regards, holger

I put both glow tape and reflective tape on all my lights and would pick yellow for the body if it was available.
If I have to put it down in a dark field while helping somebody I want to find it again. It also helps a bit while directing traffic.