2D or 3D tube for Malkoff?

cliff

Newly Enlightened
This week I just happened by the Malkoff site when a Mag 2D-3D-4D (boost) dropin was available. The last time this happened I decided to "think about it" for a while and needless to say that was a huge mistake.

So, my dropin is now enroute and I am wondering if I should go out and get a 3D mag for it. Right now I have a couple 2D mags but it sounds like the dropin might be brighter on a 3D.

There is obviously more runtime with the 3D tube, but how noticeable is the difference in brightness between 2D and 3D?

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
i used it in 2d and 3d, the light different is not that big, but runtime will be different.

Giandi

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I wired up two of AW's 3300mah protected Li-Ion cells in parallel and use them in a 2D. So I have "3D brightness" (if there is such a thing) in a 2D host. Got to love that Malkoff!

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D Maglite has higher lux readings shown below.

These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. Both lights had fully charged Radio Shack D Nimh Batteries 1.2V 4500mAh.

DBS028Small.jpg

Maglite 2D Malkoff Drop-In - 9,993 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In - 12,580 lux @ 1 meter

Malkoff 2D Maglite Drop In @ 32'

Malkoff005Small-1.jpg

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In at 32"

MalkoffSmall.jpg

Last edited:

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
The 3D Maglite has higher lux readings shown below.

These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. Both lights had fully charged Radio Shack D Nimh Batteries 1.2V 4500mAh.

Maglite 2D Malkoff Drop-In - 9,993 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In - 12,580 lux @ 1 meter

can you see the difference in brightness if not using Light meter?

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the figures and responses. It looks like a 3D is about 20% brighter and burns longer. Usually a 20% increase is not enough prompting for me to upgrade, but extra burn time may be an issue depending on what use I put this to.

That 3C approach sounds interesting, except I just bought a bunch of D-NIMH (10,000 MAh). Maybe I'll get some Cs too though.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically all you have to do is take out the spare bulb and grind off some of the anodizing inside of the tailcap, cut off the outermost ring of the spring and stretch it out a bit and cut a thin strip of foam or cloth to slide in with the 3C's to minimize rattle and you are done and done!

bhds

Enlightened
I have 2 malkoffs. One in a 2d and one in a 3d. The 3d is slightly brighter when I compare them in a darkened room clicking back and forth between the two. For me the difference is not enough to compensate for the extra heft of the 3d. The 3d I put up on a shelf and the 2d serves as my goto house light. Maglites are fairly inexpensive. Buy both:twothumbs

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Please check post #4. I had the same pictures of the beam shots 32' for the 2D and 3D.

The post is corrected.

So, both of those beamshots are at 32'? I was thrown off a bit because it looked like 32' for the 2D and 83" for the 3D, but the distance in the shot looked the same.

From those shots it looks like the difference is enough to at least try out a 3D tube. Thanks.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, both of those beamshots are at 32'? I was thrown off a bit because it looked like 32' for the 2D and 83" for the 3D, but the distance in the shot looked the same.

From those shots it looks like the difference is enough to at least try out a 3D tube. Thanks.

I made and error. Both shots are at 32'.

I was distracted because my friend was over my place and talking to me while I was correcting the post with the pictures.

The post is correct now.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Well, I do need some bonking capability and in spite of their many virtues, my various Surefire products fail miserably as blunt instruments. Therefore, I will probably be getting a 3D tomorrow, and if it is too cumbersome it will just have to go on the shelf. Thanks again for all the comments.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i notice difference from 2-3-4d.. 2d to 3d is big enough for me to want in 3d ..3d to 4d is slight increase but because i know theres an increase i kept it in 4d , max output max runtime and 3d size to 4d is not that bad

Latest posts