Fenix P3D Q5 on 17670

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I can't find it specifically; searching for Fenix and batteries is like looking for 2 specific grains of sand in the Sahara.

So will a P3D work with with a 17670 li-ion? Will one even fit (it'd probably be an AW cell from lighthound)? If I bought this light, I'd probably stick with Medium or High rather than Turbo (it'd be as a bike light), so it's OK if it works fine at those levels, but not well on Turbo. What runtimes should I expect?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D isn't designed to work with the voltage a single Li-ion cell produces over most of its discharge range. When I tried it, I got just about 20 minutes on Turbo from a freshly charged 17670 before the P3D dropped into its flickering low-battery mode. You'll get a bit more or less depending on the forward voltage of your individual LED and how soon after charging you'll be using the light. As I recall, an unprotected 17670 barely fit.

It'll last longer on the lower modes, of course, but you'll still drop into the low battery mode when only a fraction of the energy of the 17670 is used.

c_c

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
The P3D will work with AW's 2x123 cells because the P3D can handle up to 9v. My brother uses this setup in his but the down side is once the batteries get to...
thinking.gif
3.2v the protection kicks in and the light suddenly shuts off. I don't see that being a problem for a general use light but it might be a good idea to keep some spares. The one added bonus is the low mode is lower and if your getting AW's get them from the maketplace there cheaper.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the P3D and P2D use the same head, or are they different? If they're different, what about using a P2D head on a P3D body and a 17670? How well does a P2D work with a li-ion? I guess this is kind of a moot question, since I probably wouldn't want to spend that much money on 2 flashlights just to make one, but I'm still curious.

mighty82

Enlightened
The p3d head is different, buck only. The p2d uses the same head as l1d and l2d, and will loose all low modes on a 3.6v cell.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
will a P3D work with with a 17670 li-ion?

Not exactly what you asked - but since the P3D head will fit on the P2D and L1D bodies - this is what I tried -

P3Drb100 head on P2D body (ie: 1x CR123) -
primary CR123 - light in all modes - but not surprisingly low battery flickering at all levels.
3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 - all levels working - no flickering even on Turbo/Max - ie: works fine -
I have 3x RCR123's and they all worked fine.
Current draw Turbo = 0.96A; Lo = 0.03A; Med = 0.13A; Hi = 0.35A.
So GUESStimate of runtimes on 750mAh RCR123 -
Turbo 30 min; Lo 15 hours(?); med = 4 hours; Hi = 1.4 hours.

P3Drb100 head on L1D body (ie: 1x AA) -
Alkaline or NiMH - not surprisingly - no light in any mode.
3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 - light at all levels - but low battery flickering on Turbo/Max -
I have 2x 14500 UltraFire both behave this way.
Current draw Turbo/Max (with low batt flicker) 0.61A; Lo = 0.03A; Med = 0.14A; Hi = 0.36A.
So my GUESStimate of runtime on these 900mAh 14500
Turbo = ~1 hour (but flickers); Lo = ~20 hours(?); Med = 4 hours; Hi = 1.7 hours.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a 17670 cell in my P3D with very satisfiing results. The cell is an unprotected Ultrfire with the thick wrapper removed and tape put around the cell. From memory- I think I ran the light on high in regulation for approximately 3 hours. At that point I switched to Turbo and the light would have the low battery flicker. I would recharge the battery at this point so as not to drain it too far. It should run in medium for several more hours. I use the turbo mode test to determine when I should charge the cell - if it cannot work in turbo mode (switching from either high mode or medium) then it is time to charge.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a 17670 my P3D RB100 will run for 23 min. before the warning. My P3D Q2 43 min. and my P3D Q5 starts to flicker right from the start. I don't know if this is because it has an extremely high Vf or something to do with the circuit board.