Fenix L0D O Ring

HighLight

Enlightened
I received my new Fenix L0D Premium Q4 a few days ago. It's a keeper! I emailed Fenix to get an answer about the eternal question around here about what to use to lubricate the single o ring. I also asked about using the 10440 Li-ion cell, (knowing that it's not reccomended and will void warranty etc) based on thier experience with returns etc. I received the following in reply:

"Thank you very much for using Fenix light, very glad to hear that you can get the good service from the fenix dealers, the O-ring is made of rubber, we usually use the Vaseline to lubricate it, and I don't know whether the petroleum based product will made chymistry reaction with the O-ring, I think the Vaseline can be seen everywhere, so for safety, you had better use it.

We don't suggest you use 10440, because the volt is so high, reaching 3.7v, it will do harm to the circuit.

Best regards!"

Vaseline and rubber don't sit well with me so does anyone know if their response is accurate? Also they seem sure about the 3.7 volts harming the circuit..and I thought the 10440 cells measure around 4.1volts or so hot off the charger so that would not be good. Any comments?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a LOT of people feeding their L0D's nothing but 10440's, with no ill effects. If I were you, I'd be more worried about the damage caused by discharging the 10440 so quickly (5 or 6 C) than any damage to the light itself.

Can't help with the lubrication problem.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Lots of people say Vaseline will be harmful to rubber o-rings. There are undoubtedly better lubricants, but Vaseline also has a pretty good track record for the past 130 years of working just fine.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Regarding the lube, from CPF user Luminescent:

Krytox
Krytox is hideously expensive (a 2 oz tube of Loctite Krytox will set you back about 40 dollars), but it is exceptional at reducing galling in stainless steel and Titanium. It will also completely eliminate o-ring sticking. Not for use on bare aluminum threads or lightly anodized surfaces because it is abrasive to these surfaces and will lead to excessive wear. I use Krytox with my little L0D-Q4. The L0D has hard type III anodized threads which do not grind or wear with Krytox. The decision to go with Krytox over Nyogel 760G in the L0D was based on the need to eliminate o-ring sticking. My L0D has a very tight o-ring which was having sticking problems with every other lubricant that I tried. With Krytox, my L0D now has perfetly smooth one handed operation. BUT REMEMBER KRYTOX IS NOT FOR LIGHTS LIKE THE C-LE, WHICH HAVE BARE ALUMINUM THREADS. In the C-LE, it was NOT smooth at all, and eventually caused enough wear to lead to thread failure.

There are smaller/cheaper amounts of Krytox available from a few different vendors, if you're willing to pay for something more complex than Vaseline.

jerry i h

Enlightened
When I do plumbing around the house, you inevitably end up with seals, o-rings, and collars variously made of rubber and plastic. Here, you absolutely CANNOT use vaseline or other such things (for the same reason you should not use vaseline on condoms, which are latex based, but I digress...:shakehead). Instead, use 'silicone grease' available for a couple of bucks at the hardware store; on the package, it is specifically rated as waterproof, and safe for both plastic and rubber. I use it all the time on the black, rubber o-rings of my flashlights whenever I change the batts. I have never had a problem with them.

geek4christ

Enlightened
FWIW, I picked up a tube of Dielectric grease from AutoZone, and it's been working fine in my lights (including a twisty that's used daily with no noticeable drag on the twisting action).

HighLight

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice. I also read somewhere about using Syl Glyde brake lubricant which I happened to have on hand. Since its silicone I fiqured it couldn't do any harm. Its seems to work well.