New camera beamshot problem

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Olympus X313 yesterday.
Tried taking some beamshots in the kitchen (daylight outside).
The camera do not seem to have a manual mode and is overcompensating for the brightness.

Fenix L1T v2 RB80: EV-2.0
BeamL1T-20.jpg

Elektrolumens Little Friend 3xSSC_P4: EV-2.0
BeamLFSSCP4-20.jpg

The Little Friend is much brighter as can be seen in the comparison photo:
Little Friend left, L1T right: EV-2.0
BeamLFSSCP4vsL1T.jpg

The idiotic thing in my iMac seem to do a better job.
Fenix L1T:
BeamphotoL1Tv2.jpg

Little Friend:
BeamphotoLittleFriend3xSSCP4.jpg

Any suggestions on doing accurate beamshots?

bobofish

Newly Enlightened
I'm not familiar with the exact camera you have, but I've certainly had olympus cameras before.
Most cameras have an AE-lock function somewhere on them. For some, there is a button that you press, others you just press down halfway on the shutter release to focus and then recompose and shoot.

Either way, you need to meter the room, and not the flashlight beam. Point the camera away from the beam, and depress the shutter button half-way for the camera to focus and meter. The best is if you find something about the same distance away from you as the wall you are beamshotting, so the focus is the same.
Now either press the AE-lock button or keep the shutter release depressed. Recompose on the beamshot and press the shutter release all the way to take the picture.

If this doesn't work ,then you have active focus and metering on that constantly changes no matter where you point the camera. Try to find it in the menus and change it. Rinse, repeat.

Latest posts