A surprising discovery about MiniMag 3AA

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
haven't used the old minimag LED 3AA in a long time it seems.

I got a boatload of these Carbon-Zinc "super heavy duty" Eveready cells and was surprised to find out it runs really nice on them. The run time seems to be about 2 hours. This is great considering that these non-alkaline cells are just total junk and do not even power up the Fenix L2D (except maybe on lowest setting), and actually do not power up much of anything I have.

The mAh needs of MagLEd 3AA match the potential of the cells perfectly.

I got hundreds of these cells. I got them by mistake, thinking they were alkaline.

willrx

Enlightened
Very nice to know, thanks for the info. The Mag LED's sure take a verbal bashing at times due to this or that. Thanks again.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still dont get the finesses of the english speech every time...

Does the fact a light works on crappy cells, that do not work with other lights, mean the glow-thing is good? or bad?
:thinking:

its the same crap, imho, thats why it glows with the cells ;)

mchlwise

Enlightened
I still dont get the finesses of the english speech every time...

Does the fact a light works on crappy cells, that do not work with other lights, mean the glow-thing is good? or bad?
:thinking:

I think the point was that the MagLite is able to use crappy cells that don't work in other lights.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe not. I have done a test on thursday pitching a 2AA MagLED against a MTE C2 5-mode.

Mag quit when battery voltage got about 2.26V, the MTE kept going even as low as 4 lux that kept them for 20 minutes when I got bored and too sleepy to wait for the end.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe not. I have done a test on thursday pitching a 2AA MagLED against a MTE C2 5-mode.

Mag quit when battery voltage got about 2.26V, the MTE kept going even as low as 4 lux that kept them for 20 minutes when I got bored and too sleepy to wait for the end.

In my opinion, the MagLED 2AA is marginal in what it tries to squeeze out of its batteries. The 3AA version is a bit cumbersome, but it functions better.

In my opinion, the MagLED 2AA is marginal in what it tries to squeeze out of its batteries. The 3AA version is a bit cumbersome, but it functions better.

You oughta be careful with C-Zn cells. They're more prone to leaking than alkaline when they're drained, especially if you leave the light left on.