New LEUPOLD Lights !

DM51

Flashaholic
Those look pretty good. A versatile modular system - very rugged too. Leupold has an excellent name and reputation.

mhubble

Enlightened
Ive owned a number of their scopes. In my opinion they are the best money can buy. I just hope the flashlights arent as expensive as the scopes.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well Leupold scopes are not the most expensive in the market...they are the cheaper QUALITY scopes backed up by tops warranty service. Leupold is innovative responsible and aims in the great market of good owners.

If they handle their flashlights the same as their scopes they are going to be a bit behind surefire (a guess of cource). (Surefire quality is similar to Zeiss, Novatac is similar to Schmidt and Bender)

I really liked the interface. it simpler than the U2 but lacks the one hand operation of the Gladious.

well:popcorn::popcorn: Kostas

BGater

Enlightened
Doesnt Stenlight use a magnetic switch, also ? I wondered about patents when I saw this.

Leupold has differant grades of scopes, the VX 1 and 2's are a bit over priced I think. I used to have a MK4-M1 16x on my 25-06 Ackley Improved. At $1100 I felt the scope was worth every penny. I hope their flashlights are just as good, will have to give them a serious look.

FlaGator

Newly Enlightened
Magnetic sensors eh? I thought Surefire had the patent on that.

Maybe SF licensed it to them???

That might be cheaper for Leupold than reverse engineering a U2 and finding a (defensible) way around the patent. For SF, an arrangement like this could work for them - they might get a an upfront fee and a few $$/unit. In addition, Leupold's market is not the same as SF's so they wouldn't be competing against themselves.

Disclaimer - I have no specific knowledge of this situation, just my speculation based on some experience with these arrangements in other markets.

DM51

Flashaholic
Magnetic switches (Hall effect) are used in many applications. There may be patents that are still valid, but these are likely to be on matters of detailed design - they won't be for the general principle, which is now widely used.

Lol, plenty of Gators in this thread - we already have B. and Fla., so maybe we can expect Al E. to check in here soon.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo

Flashaholic
These new LEUPOLD lights will leave Surefire lights in the dirt!

With assumed due respect, this thread is primarily about a new flashlight and not in regards to how this flashlight will stack up against its competition. Obviously how it compares to other lights will be of major interest to many.

With the diversity of the SF line and little known yet of the Leupold lights, can you be more specific, if you feel you must, in identifying which SF lights will be left in the dust and out of curiosity, how this will come about?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Downloaded the .pdf.......perhaps Leupold will leverage their successes in the optical shooting field?

Looks of high machining quality, which would follow their scope and spotting scope production.

Just as an observation, it seems that a flashlight "line" would fit with their existing production and the optical engineering might enhance lighting design?

My opinion is that the modular system "MX" pictured, is very limited (no one cell body) and might be of limited interest to many that use flashlights "professionally" or for specific use? Cost would be a factor in complete modular system, and in defining specific tasks for different modular parts.

Price, availability (what channels will they use for distribution?), performance will obviously be determiners for any successes.

Just an opinion, but compared to the market that Surefire presently has; (Government, Military, Professional including Police Fire and Construction and also the shooting, hunting, camping markets) Leupold could be a well-funded newcomer with a huge uphill battle to compete in the same markets. Surefire's focus and main product is flashlights and they already have an huge advantage in existing sales, not to speak of Engineering, Innovation, Design, Quality Control, Manufacturing AND Marketing. It will be interesting to see how these lights perform, IF they even make it to market?

jeffb

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
WOW! they do look nice.I have several of there scopes and if they are built like them they will be great lights.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I d/loaded the .PDF and I dont see any pictures (there's the black background and brown text)...are there pics?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their scopes are good (though I prefer Nightforce myself). My only concern is that anything leupy has a high $$ associated with them. Also, high end lights these days tend to be differentiated mainly by their price tag also. It seems like yet another "me too" product entering the fray. But, I will say no more and give them the opportunity to prove themselves. They do look very nice.

Edit: I notice they mention magnetic system. Wonder if they're using Hall type switches like Surefires and the Gladius.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some pics online (couldnt get any pics in the .pdf with Foxit reader). The design looks familiar, and the street price of $180+ seems steep for a basic two cell LED...

-dan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some pics online (couldnt get any pics in the .pdf with Foxit reader). The design looks familiar, and the street price of $180+ seems steep for a basic two cell LED...

-dan

$180 is street price and not MSRP? If it's really street price, I'd hate to see what retail is.