Help with stuck cell in Maglite

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a D-cell that leaked and is stuck in the body of a 6D Maglite. First, I tried banging it on the carpeted floor. Next I tried penetrating oil. Then I tried freezing it and quickly heating the body by running it under hot water and banging it more. This dislodged the 5th cell. Next I drilled a 3/8" diameter hole in the cell and threaded a 1/2" rod into it. I pulled with several hundred pounds force and it would not budge. Next I attached a metal weight to the threaded rod (like a dent puller) and hammered until the rod stripped out. I then went on to banging it on a wooden block on concrete. I have dislodged most of the contents of the cell included the wire, but no joy.

I know I could just buy another one, but I am past the point of economical repair. This is war!

Can I safely drill through the switch housing and push the cell? Is there a clever technique for removing the switch housing retaining clip? (I tried and it does not want to budge.) Is there a chemical that will dissolve battery leak crud?

Has anyone got suggestions?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That happenned to a friend of mine he called the cell manufacturer and they had him send the light with stuck cells in, then sent him a new Flashlight. Not sure which company it was that made the cell.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ouch!
I had a far less serious problemhere.
Tried a narrow piece of fine guage spring steel to try to free it. I don't have one of these lights.

Good luck.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, CFM !

You could try to send it back to the battery maker, or, Mag Instrument do have a very generous policy on warranty claims.
On behalf of a friend, I once sent in a 3D with the leaked batteries (mostly) removed, but a lot of corrosion and bits left inside. There were some parts missing too ......

Three weeks later, she was sent a whole new light - that's well over the necessary, and kudos to Mag.

I don't think it's a good idea to drill through the switch assembly. But, to remove it, you insert a small Allen key through the hole in the top of the switch, (which you'll see if the rubber cover is removed).

Then, back off the set-screw at the base, and you will be able to feel the assembly loosening. Push the whole switch assembly out, toward the tail-end. Hopefully, this will push the leaked batteries out too.

The circlip arrangement just acts as a stop for the assembly, preventing it from pushing out at the lens end. If you can get the assembly back a little, it might help in removing the impossible to remove circlip thingy, then you could pull it out of the lens end.

Check on their site - you used to be able to buy a switch assembly complete (if it ends with you smashing it out ...... )

lightlover

d'mo

Enlightened
I had the same thing happen to several AA and AAA Mags in the Philippines. I figure it was caused by a leaking battery causing a chemical reaction between the battery housing and the un-anodized aluminum inside of the flashlight. The same thing happens when aluminum wheel rims are place on steel brake rotors rendering them almost impossible to remove.

I was eventually able to get the batteries out, but in all cases, the flashlight was ruined.

I agree with the above posts - replacement is the best option.

Kirk

Enlightened
Hello CFM!
You could try to drill out the old battery with the biggest drill bit you can find. If you hollow it out enough you can probably collapse the "shell" that's left with a big screwdriver without damaging the light body. This works with bolts, screws, and plumbing pipe, and the battery shell is a whole lot softer than a hunk of steel. Hope this helps. If you're like me you could spend about 20 hours on this thing and still believe you've actually SAVED MONEY! It's the principle, darn it!
Kirk

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Had a similar problem, and wrote an email to Mag Instruments. They have an agreement with major battery manufacturers (Duracell, Eveready, and Ray-o-vac) to fix leak-damaged flashlights free to the user. You only have to state what major brand of battery caused the problem. Apparently (I;m guessing.) they charge back the fix to the battery manufacturer.

They completely replaced my minimag when only the tube was damaged.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere before the last stage of Brightnorm's procedure you might want to remove and salvage the Mag Head. I did this with a 25-yr old heavier Mag 3D with (I presume)corroded batteries that fused the endcap.

This salvaged head should soon contain 3 @ potted 5W Luxeon Stars that will be grafted to the head of a DB8AA loaded with 6 @ 3800 mAh 4/3 A NiMH cells in serial. Assuming that this resistor-free, unregulated, package draws 7.2 V and 2.25 A it should be good for a run time of roughly 1 1/2 hours at close to 360 Lumen.

I've ordered / paid for 4 of the 5W LS's from Electrolumens and I think I've persuaded him to pot the 3 5W LS's into the head for me with a single set of pigtail leads coming out the back end for me to solder to the DB8AA replacement switch.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
[QB]Somewhere before the last stage of Brightnorm's procedure you might want to remove and salvage the Mag Head....This salvaged head should soon contain 3 @ potted 5W Luxeon Stars that will be grafted to the head of a DB8AA loaded with 6 @ 3800 mAh 4/3 A NiMH cells in serial.
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lemlux,

You are fortunate to possess the skill to perform that kind of wizardry. I can't create lights the way you and other Flashaholics can, but I can at least appreciate that creativity.

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm:

Actually, my "wizardry" is limited to simple procedures:

1.) Persuade Electrolumens to align, heat sink, and pot 3 LS in a Mag head with a single pig tail lead.

2.) Avoid Aragorn's painstaking skilled soldering of wires to the inside base of the DB battery chambers by:
a.) drilling out holes in the bottom of these bases.
b.) soldering the appropriate switch, charger port leads, and pigtail leads to a small eyebolt or eye screw outside the bottom of the DB head. Then pot or glue the eyebolt into the glued hole. The eye on the bolt is wider than the hole and serves the additional benefit of acting as the battery contact.
c.) soldering the remaining switch lead to the remaining LED pigtail lead.

3.) drilling two holes on opposite sides of the body for insertion of(i) the aftermarket switch and (ii) the Radio Shack round rubber female connector port which accepts any of the modular RS charger male bi-pin plugs.

4.)drilling a hole or holes in both the top of the DB head and the bottom of the Mag head to be fastened with light screws or bolts.

5.) Follow Electrolumen's aesthetic and water-resisting suggestion to make the joint of the two different heads look normal by molding some bondo at the bottom. Later sand and paint black.

As I posted awhile ago, I view my projects as those of a rough carpenter who is a cabinet maker wannabe with basic algebra, table reading and interpolation skills. I tend to brute force with more than one set of matching starting materials so that the multiple parts I destroy don't add up to too many flashlights. (Note that this project finds a way to use DB's for which I've destroyed a switches and a bezel.) Actually, I've only partially distorted a lens on an Aragorn P91 mod to a DB 6AA with a convex bulge because I didn't remember to back the lens off from direct contact to the P91 LA.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Brightnorm:

Actually, my "wizardry" is limited to simple procedures:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so you're not a wizard!

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
CFM,

Read Cosmic's post about Maglite's replacement policy and then do the following:

1) Remember that as a Flashaholic you must have at least two Maglites

2) Purchase new Maglite

3) Play with it for a day

4) Place it on a flat surface and put your current Mag next to it.

5) Carefully compare the two lights

6) Choose one to keep

7) Drink 6 oz of your favorite hard liquor

8) As the alcohol takes hold think of all the mean, cruel things that have happened in your life and the people who caused them

9) Select the most hated one of those individuals and allowthe powerful negative feelings and rage to wash over you

10) Take the other flashlight into your garage/toolshed/workshop. While keeping the hated individual in mind place the flashlight on the floor and make sure there is plenty of room.

11) Select the toughest, heaviest tool you can find, keep the rage going and get to work on that flashlight. That's right, smash it to smithrereens! Take as long as you like
until the light is completely pulverized and you're feeling pretty good.

12) Replace your tool/weapon, gently pick (or scrape up) what's left of your flashlight
and go into the house.

13) Pick up the phone and call Maglite.

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm:

I wouldn't be offended to be called a "Putzer." That's my SO's view of my hands-on play with my obsession.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent my Solitare with corroded baterry to Rayovac. i got the battery out and it still worked and everything but I couldn't get the insides very clean.
frown.gif

2 weeks later I got a check for $10. I used it to help buy a turquise ARC AAA.
smile.gif

If I had sent it to mag they would have sent me a new solitare and what good would that have done me?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brightnorm:

I wouldn't be offended to be called a "Putzer." That's my SO's view of my hands-on play with my obsession.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'll just go on calling you lemlux

BN

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm:

My inference of what I fear you are inferring was not what I intended to imply.

My obsession, as with all of us, is flashlights. Oh, well.....

Lemlux works fine.
blush.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brightnorm:

My inference of what I fear you are inferring was not what I intended to imply.

My obsession, as with all of us, is flashlights. Oh, well.....

Lemlux works fine.
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understood!

BN

D

**DONOTDELETE**

DEFEAT...

I appreciated the guidance on getting the set screw out of the switch. I would not have guessed that from the diagram I had from Maglite.

However, after removing the set screw I attemped to drive the switch and battery out of the body. I held a short piece of PVC pipe against the bulb holder and tapped with a soft face hammer. Unfortunately it cracked the plastic before the cell came loose.

I got mail from [email protected] (I am dead serious.) telling me to send it back to see if it is covered under warranty. Oh well...

On the bright side, I got a UK4AA for father's day and that made me feel better!