question on mag springs + contacts ...kai gold springs

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
thinking of getting some of kais gold springs for mags...im annoyed with uneven battery drain ive been getting in all my mags ,im hoping its a resistance issue the gold springs can solve ...., ive seen uneven battery drain in malkoff ,6ex and diamond 1watt module , is it good to sand down the lip the spring will sit on to remove anodizing and have fresh metal to contact with the gold or is that not worth it just plug the gold spring there and let it be

or would making a jumper wire be just as good and would speaker wire be good enough as a ground wire cuz i have a 500ft roll of that

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arent uneven battery drains coused by differents in internal resistance on each batteries?:confused:

jugg2

Enlightened
Arent uneven battery drains coused by differents in internal resistance on each batteries?:confused:

I thought so too.

One negative thing I have heard about the Kai springs is that the way the spring is wound, the battery contact end will dig into the battery, possibly damaging it.

It depends on what size speaker wire you have.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought so too.

One negative thing I have heard about the Kai springs is that the way the spring is wound, the battery contact end will dig into the battery, possibly damaging it.
Yeah, it's a pretty easy fix though -- simply bend the tip with a pair of plyers so it points back down, rather than up into the battery.

Yes. And the reason why this might happening in a maglite is because of tempeature differences between cells in the fornt (closest to a hot incan lamp), and those in the back. Try switching the order of your cells next time you cycle your lights, and mark them. Then check and see if the same ones you marked are misbalance the same way (Based on internal resistance in THOSE CELLS) or the opposte way (based on position, or temperature)

Either way though, changing the resistance of the tailcap spring will make no difference at all to your balance issue, as that resistance is outside of ALL of the cells. The case where contact resistance differences matter is when current is being drawn from cells in parallel, rather than in series (like a maglite).