Finding a flashlight in the dark - interesting observation

fatboy

Newly Enlightened
There on my desk, end table, night stand sits a few flashlights.

I can't help but notice the one with the white lanyard is always the one I grab (and the only thing I can see).

A mega low output led on a tailcap switch might be a really cool feature. Of course it would require a switch on a switch.

Remember, you heard it here first . :thinking:

fireblast713

Newly Enlightened
That's what tritium vials are for, unlike a low powered LED they don't require/drain batteries either. and they last for ~10 years

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
There's at least one tritium vial on most of my lights for just this reason. It doesn't matter how good the light is if you can't find it in the dark.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Bart's threads over in the Market place http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2130283#post2130283. Others also have them available.

You might also find this thread of interest
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181039&highlight=tritium

There's at least one tritium vial on most of my lights for just this reason. It doesn't matter how good the light is if you can't find it in the dark.

+1:thumbsup:

Here's a pic of a PEU Bezel (there's also a trit in the tail of most TiPD-S's
TiPDs.jpg

Last edited:

fireblast713

Newly Enlightened
What is the tritium vial? Can post some pics or links where it is selling?

You guys must not own guns :) It's a vial containing tritium a radioactive isotope of hydrogen the isotope decays and releases radiation which then strikes a special paint which then glows. I could go more into it but for all points and purposes that's all you need. Comes in all sorts of colors.

GPB

Enlightened
Nite Eyez has a one watt LED Bulb that comes with something they call a "smart switch" ( or something like that ) for the AA Minimag. It gives the light a clicky tailcap switch that has a red blinky led in it. It also gives the light 3 power levels and 2 blinking modes. Unfortunately it costs more than the minimag light itself, but makes the light much much more useful. I think they may sell the clicky blinky switch seperately but I am not positive of that.

fatboy

Newly Enlightened
Well color me a noob!

I've had an Armson OEG forever, even had Trijicon install a new tritium capsule and end cap recently. Never even thought about that one after it took about 6 months waiting for the tritium to show - like it was some kind of magic thingie not to be had easily.

m16a

Enlightened
I have a small camping light that has a pinprick sized led on it. Barely uses any power at all, and is very useful for finding in the dark. If you have a camp coleman or a similar store near by, you should be able to find something like it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The NiteIze IQ switch is sold seperately for about $5, or comes in combo packs with both the 3LED upgrade and Lux I upgrade.

Several other lights also have a "find me" mode which dimly flashes the primary LED.

I too have several lights with tritium vials attached in keychain fob form.

GPB

Enlightened
I don't know that I would be willing to carry a key fob light that had a radioactive element in my pocket everyday. I am not an alarmist about health issues or anything....but I try to keep things that glow away from my family jewels.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't know that I would be willing to carry a key fob light that had a radioactive element in my pocket everyday. I am not an alarmist about health issues or anything....but I try to keep things that glow away from my family jewels.

It's only very weak beta particles. They can't penetrate the glass capsule they are in, the acrylic around them, your clothes, or your skin. They ONLY way you could be exposed (and it's not much even at that) is if you chewed up and ate the thing.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, a trit is always helpful. Its when its reached its replacement time that is troublesome...(to change it). Another way is to have it on the lanyard attachment, simple and effective..

lengendcpf

Enlightened

Alero

Enlightened
If you're married (or not actually), you get far more radiation from the person you sleep next to than just about any other source. Those little vials are nothing, unless you break one open and you also happen to have a torso diameter of 4 or 5 inches (like the size of a small mouse).

The IQ switch is pretty good.

I have a glow-in-the-dark switch cover for many of my lights. You can get them from dealextreme for under 2 dollars for a pack of 10.

Also, Lighthound sells glow-in-the-dark lanyard cord which is fantastic. It's something like 40 cents per foot. It works great because sitting on the nightstand, the cord gets a really good charge from your lamp.