Help choosing a flashlight

m16a

Enlightened
Hey guys, how are you all doing? Very new here(first post actually), and needed some advice. I am looking to purchase a good pocket carry light, but I have some fairly rigid criteria. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

~Criteria~
-$30-35
-Very pocket sized(preferably with a keyring. Something like 3.5inches, no more than 4.0 inches)
-Good light output and battery life. 50+ lum would be nice.
-If possible, waterproof/resistant
-Able to take the wear and tear of everyday life, being sat on, or dropped etc.
-Good, solid brand that isn't going to let me down.
-LED if at all possible.
-Finally, able to be bought on amazon.com

Hope someone is able to help me. Thanks a lot for trying:twothumbs
M16a

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
My first thought is the Dexlight, however its 45$ and you cannot buy it on amazon

i don't know many lights you can buy off of amazon?

but its 3.6", probably 150 Lumens on a 14500 lithium ion cell, but way more than 50 lumens on an AA alkaline.

waterproof, edcable, HA III anodizing

it doesn't fit on my keys though, but i have a lot

i carry it with me everywhere.

m16a

Enlightened
You'd be surprised at what amazon has, they carry quite a bit. I've found numerous surefires, Fenix's streamlights etc there. Usually at a good price as well. Also, it would be helpful if you could tell me the brand name as well, because I don not yet know flashlights very well. Toe, thank you very much for the suggestion, I will take a look at it. If there are any other suggestions, I would be happy to receive them as well.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Amazon only, huh? Stuck with unusable credit? Yeah, I'm familiar with the way they hold YOUR money hostage!! I'll never sell anything there again unless they change their policies!

You can't go wrong with Fenix. The one suggested with the amazon link would be great but if you find it too big, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZM8CNA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It's the Fenix LOD and it's about the size of a cigarette that you took a couple of drags from and it meets all of your requirements except price (but doesn't everything!!).

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Any reason why Amazon? If it is the fear of another company ripping you off, then you shouldn't worry. Many of the sellers have their own membership here and have a very good record.

I'd recommend something with a current gen LED and AAA powered. AAA power to be small, and current gen LED to bright. Though the main problem would be the price. The sub $30 ones(with current gen LEDs) I doubt are sold on amazon, and the better ones are more then $35.

I was thinking about the Fenix L0D-CE Q4. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

:welcome:

m16a

Enlightened
It would be because my dad is extremely wary of other sites that aren't as big and reputable. Ok, the L0D and the p1 are apparently my best options. Looking them over, I should be able to get either one, one more question. For a good EDC, that will fit well with a keyring with a few other keys, a star wars medallion, and a 3.5 in SAK, which would be the best bet for me? Thanks a lot for the welcome and help guys:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say the L0D-CE Q4(Available on Amazon) because it would be skinner then the P1D-CE Q5.

Just in case you want to know what the letters and #s mean(all type 3/HAIII unless otherwise stated):
E = AAA powered
P = CR123 powered
L = AA or AAA powered
T = CR123 powered with a forward clickie, Two mode, tighten for high, loosen for low, uses a Cree XR-E Q5 LED(for now, when they add more models, this might change)

0 = 1 AAA powered, for the E series, 1 5mm LED, currently the Nichia CS, all twisties.
1 = 1 battery, for the E series, 1 Nichia Power LED, For the P series, a twistie.
2 = 2 battery powered or for the P series, 1 CR123 with a clickie
3 = For the P series 2 CR123 powered

+ = Special stainless steel run, a small run prototype that Fenix sold
P = "Premium" Luxeon I, V2.0 means 2 modes, Luxeon
S = Two mode(tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon I, Type II andodizing
T = Two mode(tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon III, V2.0 meas Rebel 80, twice the output
D = Digital, Multimode
CE = Cree XR-E LED, newer and at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I/III LEDs. For the same power, it puts out twice or more output
Rebel 80/100 = Luxeon Rebel 80/100 used, Usually has a warmer tint
No designation = Luxeon I or III

If there is a thing after the CE, that is to designate the Bin of the Cree XR-E LED used. Q5 means it uses the Cree XR-E Q5 LED. No designation means it uses the P3 or P4, depending on date of manufacturing.

The Civictor V1 is a 1 AA twistie with Type II anodizing. There was a multimode stainless steel model made.

There was a special Titanium version of the L0D made. It was called the L0D Ti. There was also a Christmas version(red type II anodizing with Christmas decorations) called the L0D SE. There is also a Q4 version.

I think that covers most of Fenix's models.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Great breakdown gunner! I'll have to remember this thread when I buy my next fenix. Nice for 'ciphering those fancy names. :thumbsup:

m16a

Enlightened
I'd say the L0D-CE Q4(Available on Amazon) because it would be skinner then the P1D-CE Q5.

Just in case you want to know what the letters and #s mean(all type 3/HAIII unless otherwise stated):
E = AAA powered
P = CR123 powered
L = AA or AAA powered
T = CR123 powered with a forward clickie, Two mode, tighten for high, loosen for low, uses a Cree XR-E Q5 LED(for now, when they add more models, this might change)

0 = 1 AAA powered, for the E series, 1 5mm LED, currently the Nichia CS, all twisties.
1 = 1 battery, for the E series, 1 Nichia Power LED, For the P series, a twistie.
2 = 2 battery powered or for the P series, 1 CR123 with a clickie
3 = For the P series 2 CR123 powered

+ = Special stainless steel run, a small run prototype that Fenix sold
P = "Premium" Luxeon I, V2.0 means 2 modes, Luxeon
S = Two mode(tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon I, Type II andodizing
T = Two mode(tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon III, V2.0 meas Rebel 80, twice the output
D = Digital, Multimode
CE = Cree XR-E LED, newer and at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I/III LEDs. For the same power, it puts out twice or more output
Rebel 80/100 = Luxeon Rebel 80/100 used, Usually has a warmer tint
No designation = Luxeon I or III

If there is a thing after the CE, that is to designate the Bin of the Cree XR-E LED used. Q5 means it uses the Cree XR-E Q5 LED. No designation means it uses the P3 or P4, depending on date of manufacturing.

The Civictor V1 is a 1 AA twistie with Type II anodizing. There was a multimode stainless steel model made.

There was a special Titanium version of the L0D made. It was called the L0D Ti. There was also a Christmas version(red type II anodizing with Christmas decorations) called the L0D SE. There is also a Q4 version.

I think that covers most of Fenix's models.

Wow thanks for that chart man. Thats a real helper when I will be looking in the future!

Latest posts