possible L1 cree tailcap problem

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I know that it's perfectionist and obsessive. Just got a new L1, that I'm basically thrilled with. However, the spring in the tail cap is crooked, leaning way to one side instead of pointing straight out... Possibly as a result, there's a loudish noise of spring grinding on battery end when I twist the tailcap, that sounds like it's stressing the spring. I don't remember this sound when I had my A2... Also, after a short amount of twisting light on and off, there are two marks on the battery end, one smaller inner circle, and one outer circle just inside where the wrapper ends... My concern is that because the spring is off center I'm somehow stressing it each time I turn the light on or off. And the sound is annoying.

Is this normal? Is it not normal but not worth bugging SF or my dealer about? Is there a home fix? I'm leaving on a trip on Thurs and was hoping to take this light with me... Thanks!

bigfoot

Enlightened
My L1 had the same crooked spring. Also made the spring grinding noise. Didn't seem to affect operation at all, though.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine had this too, with no apparent problems resulting from it. (It's currently back at Surefire for an unrelated problem with the regulation.)

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it as a good thing. A bonus feature. Every time you twist the tailcap, the spring gently rubs the end of the battery to remove any possible oxidation which might otherwise result in undesirable voltage loss.

Seriously. Some twist lights are deliberately designed with an off center nubbin in the tail end for just that purpose. It's a "self-cleaning" design.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should not be worried. If the spring is loose then you should be....

Have a good time and like marinemaster said don't forget to bring plenty of batteries!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the head off and load the battery from the other end. You will never notice a problem with the spring.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the head off and load the battery from the other end. You will never notice a problem with the spring.

That doesn't work on an L1, only E-series. Besides, it's a twisty, therefore even once the tailcap is on, it still has to be rotated for any kind of constant on.

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reassurance fellas. I may call Surefire about it, but won't stress to hard now.