I broke the dome off, P4 cree probably

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I couldnt leave well enough alone, and I was playing with this light.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10396
Anyhow, I couldn't get the reflector to seat and I busted the dome off one of the emitters. Still works though.

I have to assume this is a bad thing, huh?

I am going to guess it is an XRE P4,
This looks like it might be the right item to replace.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3417

So, leave it alone? (what could potentially happen here?)
Buy the part above?
Or use this as an opportunity to switch all 3 out to Q5's?

1 what

Enlightened
Hi VegasF6,
I don't know the right answer but I did the same thing to a Q5 about 6 weeks ago and it's had several hours driven at 900MA without problems. I think it even helped "tighten up" the central spot using one of the DX Cree reflectors. It now throws +++. I'll try to take and post a pic tonight.

1 what

Enlightened
Pictures as promised.
First the homemade bicycle light prototype plus a "thrower" for spot comparison. Mine uses a Q5 Cree WC driven at 900MA. The reflector is one of the inexpensive DX Cree reflectors. There is a 2mm plastis lense glued over the end of the reflector.

lightszl0.jpg

Next the Tiablo A9 on high. The wall is 9M away.

tiaeq4.jpg

And the "broken" Cree with missing dome at 900MA drive.

hmar1.jpg

As you can see a nice small hot spot in the centre plus some spill.
OK I know it's no threat to the A9 :mecry:.
Now all we need is someone who really knows to tell us if going domeless causes problems.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've knocked the gummy dome off of several rebels (so small!) and haven't had any failures yet.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol! I love the owrding "you HAVE had".

Althought I can't see any difference in power, there is definately a difference in tint between the domed and undomed emitters. (undomed are more yellow)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading a post by newbie, he took off the dome off a cree and the emitter eventually crapped out after several hours, light turned blue or something.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure at the very least it is bound to corrode inside and maybe short something. I really don't mind using it till it dies, I just hope it doesn't kill the driver at the same time.

I have 3 differen't builds going on right now, I am just getting way to ambitious for a newbie. But it sure is fun!

Oh yah, I don't seem to notice any difference in output but with 3 emitters it is sort of hard to tell.

Bigsy

Enlightened
I bust the top off a Q2 in my rexlight when I was fitting an 8degree optic, this was probably around a year ago if not longer and its as good as it ever was.

In fact I also think it has a nicer beam pattern because of it.