Need Light for Burning Man Event..any suggestions?

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
:wave:I'm hoping the good folks on CPF are able to help a friend of mine. My friend and his church are involved in ministry work at the annual Burning Man Festival. I showed them some of my lights and they've decided to purchase some general use lights. Their budget for flashlights for their team is around $10-$20/light.

1) My first question is what type of light would you recommend for their team in this price range. I'm assuming that as non-flashaholics, common battery types such as AA, AAA, C, or D would be preferable. The lights will have to be rugged enough to withstand about a week of hot weather, dust, some abuse, and frequent use. I'm thinking SAIK A3, UF C3, Romisen RC-G2? Brighter the better with decent runtime. Any thoughts?

2) More importantly, they will be setting up a huge display in the middle of the desert with the Ark of the Covenant under a large tent with a large disco ball hanging above it. (Don't ask..I don't get it either :shrug: but it sounds cool:party:). Their idea is to place some powerful flashlights in the Ark and shine it at the disco ball above. For this purpose, they are asking for recommendations on super bright lights with long runtime. I know this is a lot to ask as most torches are either really bright or have really long runtimes...not both. What would you all recommend?? Once again, I'm leaning toward lights that use general battery types for reasons mentioned above. I'm also hoping these are lights that won't get too hot and fail as they do need to be run for quite a while and attract attention to their booth. Their budget for these lights is only $20-$30 or so...maybe a bit more.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they're not flashaholics, it rules out all 1xAA lights immediately, as these just don't work if you use alkies in them (though you could get a eneloop bundle+charger and 1 less light?). For 2xAA, look at:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7502
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7503

There's a thread on them here, and with a current draw of about 400ma, alkies will be ok in them. If you do go for 1xAA, you have a lot more choices, and the RC-G2 is a good light, though is more throw than spill.

As for the disco ball light, depending on how bright it is, you may be better running something off the mains especially if you're looking for runtimes over an hour. You can get those 500W floodlights cheap, and with a few wraps of tin foil around it you should be able to turn it into a spotlight, though it will get hot.

How many lights are you looking for, and how bright do the everyday ones need to be?

txmatt

Enlightened
As I understand it, you can't buy anything at Burning Man (maybe ice and coffee) so they'd have to trade/barter for batteries if needed. As such, I'd highly recommend AA NiMH batteries and a car charger. With one spare set of batteries (per light preferrably), you get almost unlimited runtime.

For the covenant light, I think traditional flashlight stuff with small batteries is the wrong way to go. You'd be much better off using something like a car headlight or a custom LED setup running off a 12 volt, deep cycle battery. Depending on the light, it might go all week on a charge, or you could bum a charge off of someone with a generator. Otherwise, for a bright flashlight you'd likely have to change batteries every couple/few hours. If the light is inside a display, it may not be easy to get to to change batteries, where a 12 volt deep cycle would easily accomodate placing the battery remote to the actual light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
+1 to using a 12v deep cycle lead acid battery for the light shining up.

As for a simple light, I find these make a good workhorse light at $15 each.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
if 20ish dollars is the budget, I'm gonna get flamed for this but just get them a 3-D mag each from home depot, around 17 dollars each, and a couple of packs batteries.

if you are gonne be in a hostile, dusty environment, an incandescent beam will treat you better than cold LED beams, and while it may be a ban-worthy thing to say around here, a3-D mag's beam is decent for the money fr people who aren't hunting white walls.

:flame suit on:

ginaz

Enlightened
BAN HIM!!!

really though, for the money, that's a great way to go.

generic808

Enlightened
I second the ban :naughty: Nah, that might be something to look into. Or you could get the 3D LED version. Or maybe buy the incan and go with an LED drop-in. But then you'll be exceeding your budget. But like 270winchester, for the application it may make sense.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Just tell em' they can't save souls on the cheap ;)
Yeah...anyway... with that budget... 3D Mag's... only option really.
It would throw light up onto the disco ball above quite good too.

Just reading about people wanting lights for such tight budgets is depressing.
:green: :(

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I've actually been to burning man, so I'll share some BM wisdom here:

You need more than one light for burning man. You and your friends will lose them somewhere and need backup. Also, you will meet or camp with people without proper lighting, so backup lights are great for handing out to the needy.

Don't bring your expensive lights. There's no need, and you risk losing them.

There are lots of lights at burning man to see by at night. Occasionally you might find yourself out at night in a particularly dark area, but a small functional light will work fine until you find a place that is better lit.

Think camping: an arc aaa is sufficient to browse your tent at night for your gear.

When out and about at night time it is CRITICAL to wear personal lights to avoid being crashed into by bicyclists (most of whom don't have sufficient lighting). Some people use glowsticks, but these fade. Glo-toob would be ideal for this application, or some other long running light, preferrably with a plastic diffuser to make it glow/shine brightly. Also, adding retroreflectors to your clothes is a good safety idea.

There can be a lot of dust on the playa. A tight focused beam will cut thru the dust, while a broad floody beam will help for up close work. If you're on a bike at night, having a flashlight with a tight beam is useful, partly for identifying obstacles in the distance, and also for signalling other riders your location.

Obviously your bicycle needs some led lights on it. Color changers are good, and a lot of people use hokey spokes.

Do you need a headlamp? They can be useful, but I don't take one because they're antisocial; I don't like chatting with someone with a bright light on their face.

If I go again this year I am going to bring these flashlights that I already own:
  • Inova x1.v1 green.
  • Gerber firecracker.
  • Coast led lenser from costco (1aa).
  • White pal-light.
  • 3aaa bike light.
  • pelican 2aaa incan.
Some advantages of these lights:
  • 1 aa battery lasts all week long. A couple of extra batteries for backup is sufficient.
  • Small size means more likely to carry them.
  • Cheap and easy to replace (not the green inova x1, but I love it because of its distinctive color, my friends can find me more easily).
  • Optics produce focused beam.

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
For lighting up your person to avoid being run into (and might look pretty cool too) I'd try some battery operated christmas light. I used to use them to decorate my Jeep. I can't recall what batteries they used (c cells?) but they lasted a long time and arent' obnoxiously bright. Only downside is I've never seen them for sale except around christmas.

Well that wasn't difficult to google. This is exactly what I mean.

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/c...camp=battery&gclid=CLDH9_rAkpICFRImawoddxNXPw

generic808

Enlightened
raleigh-lights.JPG

:crackup:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you're talking. If you're going to waste your time and money going out there, you might as well look good. No one is going to care if you're carrying Surefire.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that they could use a spot light running off a car cigarette lighter for the disco ball? If so there are a lot of options there. Also if they are going to build stuff at night you might consider headlamps instead.

-LT

ginaz

Enlightened
i like the idea of using colored light to stand out. one have red, one have blue, etc..

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Hi,just get some CPF pal lights the runtime on high is 40 hours,low is 100 hours,and I think blinky mode is in between.The pal light runs of one 9volt battery,built like a tank,waterproof to 1 meter.You could get them from Witts End in the dealers forum or pm him .They are abut 70 dollars for 12lights.You could bring the extras and barter them:naughty:.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D Mag-led is 27 bucks right now at Amazon, free shipping. Seems like a good carry light in this case. For the disco ball, I gotta agree they need something with more power and a good tight beam. I used to have one of these believe it or not (don't ask) and I used a photographers spotlight. Worked great.

So, I don't know what sort of vehicles are going to be involved, but maybe 750-1000 watt inverter from harbor freight, or better still a generator. Pepboys, checker auto, etc usually has some chinese models on sale in the 200$ range. They won't last like a Honda but they should get through the week. And a good chain and lock.

Here is a 4KW generator for 299, with a 150 rebate! Wow, thats a good deal.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540
The rebate link is right on the front page.
http://www.partsamerica.com/

Here is the Mag-Led 4D for 26.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXBUEO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The 3D is 27.58
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXBUCQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The 4D should get what, 10 hours runtime EASY?

I am afraid I can't find anything like my photography light, but it was small, had a screw for a tripod, and if I am not mistaken took mr-16 spotlight bulbs. Should be easy to find at your local home store.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one needs a D cell light at Burning Man. It's just too big and you're not going to carry it and have it with you when you need it. The only positive is that it would be easier to find in camp than a smaller light.

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the input and the links to all the different sites. I like the idea of the Glo Toobs or some other source of personal lighting for the pedestrians to warn bicyclists...as well as getting some lighting for the bikes. They've decided to purchase several cases of the "Multicolored Rainbow LED Keychain Flashlights" from DX as giveaways and bartering items: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4241.

The Christmas lights on the bikes would definitely do the trick :twothumbs. I've never been to Burning Man but I'm told a lot of people get hit by bikes at night.:ohgeez:

I've relayed a lot of this info to my friend and they apparently don't have the space/budget to get a generator and that their won't be any cars nearby the display. Also, He's pretty much just set on getting some flashlights since they don't have the know-how to setup a deep cycle battery...yada yada. :sigh: Also,they really don't want any wires showing or equipment running and are looking to create a serene/eclectic environment in the desert. So again, they seem to be set on getting a number of flashlight to put into the Ark and have a bright beam shooting up out of the Ark.

In any regard, it seems I'll just have to tell them to get some Mag Lights...:green:...kinda sucks since he was expecting something a lot brighter and cooler :naughty: than a boring Mag.

Anyone ever try one of these from DX?: SmartFire M-504C Cree Flashlight (4xC Cells) http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6411

or one of these...Ugsby D3 Cree P4 LED (3xD) Flashlight...http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2778

Any chance these would run brighter and longer than a MAG LED?

Last edited:

Latest posts