LED head for Surefire E2E

razor7

Newly Enlightened
Recently I happened to notice that the head from my newer L1 (Cree), fit onto my E2E. Firing it up, it was extremely bright, and I am tempted to use it this way. It seems a bit brighter than my M3 Combatlight with a 225 lumen lamp assy. I am sure that it is being way overdriven, but I really like the output on it. I am starting to think that using it like this might not be a good idea, since it was only designed for one 123a battery.

Should I continue to use it this way? If not, does anyone make an LED head for the E2E/L4, etc, that is insane crazy bright with very good throw? I really want something that is scorching bright, very well made, and is small and thin enough to be clipped inside my front pants pocket for EDC.

Any other suggestions?

WDR65

Enlightened
Using the L1 head on the E2E is a bad idea. There is no protection for the led and its being overdriven quite hard. I doubt it would last more than a couple of times being used this way.

As for other LED options, I believe OpticsHQ makes a head with characteristics similar to what you want using a CREE Q5 LED. I'm personally waiting on the Surefire E2DL or LED E2D defender, but its rated at 120 lumens and I don't know if that will be enough for what your are describing.

Another option you have is to have an L4 or KL1 head modded my milkyspit, a member here on the boards that does some very bright improvements to these.

Hope this helps and welcome to CPF.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Razor7,

Welcome to CPF. As the previous poster said....it's very bad idea to direct drive the L1 head. One of these times, you will hit the switch....and :poof:. The LED head that was suggested from OpticsHQ is an excellent option for the E2E body. I have the E2D version with the strike bezel on it. There is also a HAIII natural version....Here is the description...And a link to buy it

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Cree Q5 LED conversion head for SureFire E2 series, HA3 natural finish. Output: 220 lumens Runtime: average 2+ hours Voltage: 3-8.4V[/SIZE][/FONT]

I love this head. Here is a picture of it on my E2D body.

Q5E2Db.jpg

I also have several of Milkyspits modded Surefire's. I highly recommend his work also. Here are a few links to threads where his work is.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174494

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191274

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/175864

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189777

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190362

Enjoy!

razor7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and input. I just looked at the OpticsHQ head, and sent a PM to milkyspit.

One more question. Does anyone know if a modded light from milkyspit would be brighter and with better throw than the OpticsHQ head? I have ordered a couple of drop-in LED modules for my 6P, and also ordered some complete lights that claimed to be over 200 lumens, and was a bit disappointed with the output and color of the light.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and input. I just looked at the OpticsHQ head, and sent a PM to milkyspit.

One more question. Does anyone know if a modded light from milkyspit would be brighter and with better throw than the OpticsHQ head? I have ordered a couple of drop-in LED modules for my 6P, and also ordered some complete lights that claimed to be over 200 lumens, and was a bit disappointed with the output and color of the light.

Modded heads from milkyspit will be brighter and more throw. Check any of the links in my signature for more info. Of course, it'll cost you more $$ than the OpticsHQ heads.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
could you please post a picture...?

I wanna see it............:devil:

razor7

Newly Enlightened
could you please post a picture...?

I wanna see it............:devil:

I'm looking at getting either a CREEmator or Tranzilla head, once I have it, I will post pics comparing the beams.

I hope the L1's head survives until then! Can't seem to keep it off of the E2E. :D

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting either a CREEmator or Tranzilla head, once I have it, I will post pics comparing the beams.

I hope the L1's head survives until then! Can't seem to keep it off of the E2E. :D

The Tranzilla is quite a monster! The K2-TFFC has a very nice tint that is really good for color rendition. If you want the most power in a compact E2L type size...that's the way to go!

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump and still wondering if yoy have a pic of how it looks...........:p

Thanks...