Fraen optic review up on O.W.L.I.

OddOne

Enlightened
This might be of interest to the modders here...

I've posted a review of the optical collimators Fraen is making for Luxeons. No beamshots yet - I'm still getting set up to take proper/useful beamshots - but there are pics of the goodies. These might be worth considering if you need a wider beam angle than what you'll get from a NX05 or that new 30mm optic Lumileds put out.

Review is here.

oO

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice!

i should be getting some in the mail soon, so i'm very glad to hear you like them.

OddOne

Enlightened
They're the oly real competition I've seen to Lumileds' own collimators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I found the medium beam model to be a great one for flashlights if you need to have at least SOME width to the beam, but otherwise the narrow is the ticket for that application. The elliptical's cool though, and would also be great for flashlight use.

It's nice being able to mix-and-match the beam width without having to build an elaboate optics assembly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

oO

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Have you directly compared the beam of the 6degree fraen to the 30mm optic using a lambertian style luxeon? I want to do a setup with the tighest beam/longest throw possible.

OddOne

Enlightened
I've got some NX05s coming in, but no 30s yet - my budget is nonexistent and I had a couple pending projects where space is a premium, so I hadta get the little ones and forego the 30s.

Eventually I'll get some 30s and do a direct comparison.

oO

B@rt

Flashaholic
Did you use the HD or LD optics?

I got my samples in the mail this week, but I only have an LD to test with at the moment, and need to modd something to use the optics as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OddOne

Enlightened
I have both highs and lows here, and all of the 1-watt colors. 1w Royal Blue (batwing/low-dome) + the Fraen narrow-beam = a purple-blue spot on trees 75 feet away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
OddOne,

Thanks for the review. I also look forward to any beam pics you may put up - particularly of the narrow and elliptical models.

I wanted to ask you something. You state on the webpage that the diameters are 27mm. Does this include the flanges at the top? If so, do you think it would be possible to grind them down to about 23mm? Then they would just fit in a Minimag or Brinkmann AA.

OddOne

Enlightened
The outer diameter, according to the specs page, is 26.78mm. The widest part of the lens itself is 23.96mm, and the total height is 19.25mm.

Setting the reflector out of my MiniMag onto the narrow-beam Fraen optic makes me think that grinding one down to fit won't be workable - you'll get into the optic's working part before you machine it down enough. Guess the NX05s are still the best bet for 'AA' light refits...

oO

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would just like to add, that fraen e-mailed me yesterday and said that the new model optics will have no tabs!

no tabs!!!!!!! yea!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir:

Good news! I hate tabs.

OddOne:

Thanks. I think someone did grind down a 30mm optic, and cut into the optical part itself. I can't find the thread, though, and I don't remember what the resulting beam looked like. I can only recall (vaguely) that it may have had little effect.

BTW, does anyone know of a place where I can actually buy these? Or should I email Scott and beg for some samples? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
Lux,

I know McGizmo did a 30mm optic mod with a kl3 where he turned down the optic, i don't know if he cut into the optical portion of it though.

Pete

OddOne

Enlightened
I would THINK (key word here!) that turning one down won't have a huge negative impact, IF you can make the cuts into the actual working portion as clean and smooth as possible. Doing this will require a lathe and some serious polishing work once the rough cutting is done.

oO

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:
The outer diameter, according to the specs page, is 26.78mm. The widest part of the lens itself is 23.96mm, and the total height is 19.25mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, you wouldn't need to shave even 1mm off the radius, and this just at the top. I think it's worth a shot.