Help with battery powered LEDS

d12bn

Newly Enlightened
I'm building a coffee table to display my autographed guitar. I want to add some bling with 8 to 12 LED lights. Its not so much about lighting the guitar but more about a cool effect.
So since its a coffee table that won't be by a receptacle I don't want to power it with AC.
My question is what LED lights should I use and what batteries should I use? How long can I expect batteries to last before replacing?

I made a visit to Radio Shack and I can buy LEDs and battery holders and I'm sure I can put it together if I knew what to use. By the way RS was no help.

Thanks for your time

Cydonia

Enlightened
What color LED light would you like? How bright? Just enough so that it can be seen in the gloom as a ghostly halo of red, or green, blue etc., ?
And only to be switched on occasionally when guests are visiting for instance? If so I think it can be done easy enough. A built in compartment in the table for batteries - maybe 4 C size or 4D regular alkalines - a concealed switch - and the LED's being driven at their 20ma current with simple resistors. A dozen LED's @ 20ma = 240ma, nice low current for long run time from cheap alkalines. Probably best to order the LED's in the color and brightness you want online. Use Rat Shack for the battery holders, switch and resistors only ;)

d12bn

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking blue lights and I can hide AAA's to D batteries. It does not have to be bright but it would be nice to leave on for a few hours at a time if possible.
Where should I buy LEDs and please be as specific as possible for recommendations because I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks

Cydonia

Enlightened
I orderd various LED's from www.ledsupply.com. See this page from their site.
All are good quality standard 5mm LED's. As you can see, they have 3 types of blue led available, all at 88¢ each (when you buy 10 or more).

15, 30 and 45 degree view angle. The pictures on that page show you what that means. I would suggest you get the 45 degree wide angle ones - for a more uniform diffuse consistent light output. Less rings and artifacts in the beam. You can also experiment with fine sandpaper to sand the tip of the LED down to produce soft even light with no rings or pattern.

The blue LED's are listed at 3.6 to 4.0 volts max. You need resistors. I'd use 1 resistor per LED, 10ohm, 1/4 watt, from radio shack. All powered by 3D alkaline batteries. I'm not sure if radio shack sells a 3D battery holder. Use a 2D with a 1D holder. You're going to have to wire the holders in series. If you know nothing about this stuff then it's not going to be an easy project...

You know what would be a really simple option? Buy a few Blue LED flashlights and stick them into the table through a hole! The excellent Inova X5 (with 5 super bright LED's) will run 20 hours + (slowly dimming down over time) on 2 of the Cr123A batteries. These lights are twist on/off via the tail cap. So just leave the end of the flashlight sticking out under the table edge - you could glue the light in place - to turn on just twist the end cap. Could replace the batteries in place too - a stick with tape on the end to get the batteries out if the light is glued in and you can't tip the batteries out. Order good quality batteries when you order the lights. Don't buy Cr123A's at a local store, they are $10 for 2 :laughing: All other color lights available too.
You can adjust the beams from the led's on the Inova X5 by placing tape over them, or a diffuser, to get the perfect "glow" for the display case.
It might work out better doing it this way.

d12bn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for your help.
I just got back from Radio Shack and it looks like I will have to order everything.
But since I don't know anything about this stuff I decided to make it more complicated. Here's what I'm going to try to do. Since it won't be practical to power the lights for long periods of time I want to add a motion detector to the project. So when someone walks up to the table to look at my guitar the LED light will come on.
If you know anything about motion detectors let me know.
And thanks for your help, I think I can put together the lights and power, just have to do more research to add a motion sensor.

Thanks

d12bn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for your help.
I just got back from Radio Shack and it looks like I will have to order everything.
But since I don't know anything about this stuff I decided to make it more complicated. Here's what I'm going to try to do. Since it won't be practical to power the lights for long periods of time I want to add a motion detector to the project. So when someone walks up to the table to look at my guitar the LED light will come on.
If you know anything about motion detectors let me know.
And thanks for your help, I think I can put together the lights and power, just have to do more research to add a motion sensor.

Thanks