Inova X5 battery polarity question

Flashlike

Enlightened
Just bought a new Inova X5 and was surprised that the battery orientation is opposite from most 2 X CR123A cell flashlights. In other words the negative end of the cells contact the light output end and the positive end contact the tailcap end.
Although I intend to be careful to always insert the cells correctly, does anyone know if the circuit has protection in the event they were inserted with incorrect polarity?

I like the flashlight. The beam has a nice tint and is very smooth. There are brighter 2 x CR123A flashlights available, but I appreciate the quality of construction. I've heard that they have decent run time even though the LEDs are directly driven, too.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's not stated by the manufacturer or generally unknown, it's best to assume that the light does not have reverse polarity protection. That being said, my friend's X5 has had the batteries installed the wrong way and the light worked afterword. It's possible he got lucky, though.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently e-mailed Inova with this same question, but only as to the new T series lights. I was told that they do have reverse polarity protection.

You might want to send them one about the X series. Their e-mail addresses are on the Inova website. Please let us know what they say.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my X-5 I put batteries in the "normal" way and it didn't light up. I tried three different sets of batteries, still no light. When I finally put them in the correct way, it lit up fine.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks to all for your replies. It sounds more than likely that the X5 does have built-in protection in the circuit to prevent damage if the batteries were inserted with incorrect orientation.
Just to be sure I sent an email to Inova and I will post again if and when I receive their reply.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Yes the X5 has some kind of polarity protection. Being a simple foolproof direct drive resistored design that is kind of not surprising. One of the first things I did way back with my X5 was "test" it out by reversing the battery.

I read on here once that the X5 LED's will light ever so slightly with the tail cap off and only your fingers acting as a conductor between the top CR123A cell terminal and the tube edge. I don't know if that is true or not, but it should be easy to test :shrug: ( I only have a 1 cell red led X5, don't think it would work, so I can't try it)

Flashlike

Enlightened
Cydonia--

Interesting observation. Yes, it does work! I just tested it. The LEDs light up with a very soft bluish glow. Kind of cool.
It sort of reminded me of the "find me in the dark" glow that the Pal Lights have when they are off.

...I read on here once that the X5 LED's will light ever so slightly with the tail cap off and only your fingers acting as a conductor between the top CR123A cell terminal and the tube edge. I don't know if that is true or not, but it should be easy to test....

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the X5 has some kind of polarity protection. Being a simple foolproof direct drive resistored design that is kind of not surprising. One of the first things I did way back with my X5 was "test" it out by reversing the battery.

I read on here once that the X5 LED's will light ever so slightly with the tail cap off and only your fingers acting as a conductor between the top CR123A cell terminal and the tube edge. I don't know if that is true or not, but it should be easy to test :shrug: ( I only have a 1 cell red led X5, don't think it would work, so I can't try it)

if you want a 2 cell X5 for trade with that red..shoot me a pm..:tinfoil:

Crenshaw

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The polarity protection of the X5t is very simple:
Observe the tailcap and note that if your cr123 cell were reversed, the flat bottom inside the tailcap doesn't make contact because of the cell's protection ring on the negative end.
Of course, if you obtain questionable batteries with no protection ring or disassemble them, you're out of luck...

Flashlike

Enlightened
Here is the email inquiry that I sent yesterday to Inova:

"Having just purchased a new Inova X5 flashlight (model X5MT-WT) I noticed in the instructions that the batteries (2 X CR123A) are to be inserted with the negative end toward the light end of the flashlight and the positive end toward the tailcap end.
I intend to be very careful whenever I replace the batteries, but I would like to know if the circuit is designed with "polarity protection" so that the flashlight will not be damaged if the batteries were accidentally inserted with incorrect orientation?"

Here is their reply that I received today:

"Yes, there is polarity protection.
Thank you"

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlike, thanks for posting Inova's reply. And kongfuchicken, I hadn't noticed the X5's "mechanical" r.p. protection. Thanks for pointing it out.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats with the sudden influx of inova X5 threads? anyone else notice? we had like 3 in the past two days...

Crenshaw

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats with the sudden influx of inova X5 threads? anyone else notice? we had like 3 in the past two days...

Crenshaw

Several have been for sale recently on B/S/T.....mention of X5s in the Target markdowns.....some new members becoming acquainted with them for the first time.....maybe even a little spillover from all the good buzz on the new Inova T series....?

But, in any event, it's nice to bring up a classic and old favorite every now and again.....

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
This is the light that brought me here in '04.
I've been carrying it every day as a back up light along with my E2e-BK in my fanny pack. On my belt my EDCs change often - but the X5 and E2e are always with me.

Bill

But, in any event, it's nice to bring up a classic and old favorite every now and again.....

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every X1 I've had has been the "traditional" way: + end towards the head (not the other way around like the X5, etc.). Confusing indeed.

Look inside the end cap of your X1---there may be a small - symbol to remind you.