"The Third Car is On Fire!"

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I was sitting in the Siding waiting for another train to get by us. It was about 5:00 AM dark with blowing snow, a bit of a blizzard. Suddenly I heard a voice on our radio say "Clear at Lindbrook." That meant the eastbound we were waiting for was just around the corner, and coming down the hill hard. I grabbed my Streamlight ProPolymer 3C LUXEON Div 1 test flashlight, coat and gloves and exited out the front door. My conductor had just answered a call from the dispatcher, and stayed behind in the cab. I saw the crossing bucks start to come down and a big snow plow truck come to a stop at the crossing.

Just as I hit the ground the opposing train, an eastbound reached us and I was blasted with 50/60 mph wind/snow from ten feet away. I could not see a thing as I struggled to get my coat on. The train continued to pass us then I felt a hand on my shoulder an turned to see the snow plow driver pointing to the train and say "The third car on the train, the front wheel was on fire! I looked at his eyes, saw truth in them and said "Thanks!" and ran up the stairs and into the front door of the engine. I grabbed the radio and called the eastbound.. "304, stop your train, you have a fire three or four deep."

Thanks to God 304's crew got the train stopped before he derailed. The third car's brake system appeared to be jammed on with all brake shoes burnt off with steel on steel. The wheels were badly shelled and flattened from skidding. I walked back to the truck and spoke with the driver. I thanked him on behalf of the crew of 304 and told him he had saved a possible high speed derailment and sideswipe (of our train just feet away.)

He smiled, said "No problem." He looked at me and said "I sure like that high tech LED flashlight you got there. I sure would like one of those." I got his name and phone number and he mentioned his uncle was a retired yardmaster. I told him I knew his uncle and asked how he was doing.

This happened this Sunday morning. I intend to call the Trainmaster on Monday and ask him to buy the driver a new flashlight just like we are testing. If he won't, I will ask the union, I am sure they would be happy to buy him a flashlight. And I am thinking of getting him a edc, something like an RC-G2 or something easy to buy batteries for.

There are Good Men around us yet.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. It's good that he saw the light you had and liked it. Hope he gets one. He may be a future CPF'er.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disclaimer: I'm not a railroad employee. I'd guess "three or four deep" means on the third or fourth car.

That hit me about the time I hit send (as usual)

Odd, On a number of occasions I've spent days working on a programming solution, asked for help and found an easy solution within minutes of asking.

OceanView

Enlightened
Good story. Glad no one was hurt.

It's good to see the trusty ol' Propoly 3C get some mention on CPF, but as a flashaholic, I gotta ask--were you using it? At 5AM, I hoping you'll say that it was still dark and it was lighting up everything within 300 yards of you like daylight (ummm, OK, a little exaggerated, but don't tell the grandkids when you're repeating the story... :sssh:)

It may not be cutting edge, but my Propoly 4AA's are still my car lights. The reflector does an amazing job putting out that surprisingly bright hotspot coming from these Lux emitters and do a fine job lighting up distant house numbers or street signs when I'm looking for an address.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Glad that yer' story had a happy ending. :wave:

And nice of that SnowPlow driver to get "involved".

:twothumbs

_

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello My3KidsDad!,

Wonderful story...

If you can't get anyone else to buy the snowplow driver a light, let me know. I'll chip in $20 toward helping out.

Tom

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I was sitting in the Siding waiting for another train to get by us. It was about 5:00 AM dark with blowing snow, a bit of a blizzard. Suddenly I heard a voice on our radio say "Clear at Lindbrook." That meant the eastbound we were waiting for was just around the corner, and coming down the hill hard. I grabbed my Streamlight ProPolymer 3C LUXEON Div 1 test flashlight, coat and gloves and exited out the front door. My conductor had just answered a call from the dispatcher, and stayed behind in the cab. I saw the crossing bucks start to come down and a big snow plow truck come to a stop at the crossing.

Just as I hit the ground the opposing train, an eastbound reached us and I was blasted with 50/60 mph wind/snow from ten feet away. I could not see a thing as I struggled to get my coat on. The train continued to pass us then I felt a hand on my shoulder an turned to see the snow plow driver pointing to the train and say "The third car on the train, the front wheel was on fire! I looked at his eyes, saw truth in them and said "Thanks!" and ran up the stairs and into the front door of the engine. I grabbed the radio and called the eastbound.. "304, stop your train, you have a fire three or four deep."

Thanks to God 304's crew got the train stopped before he derailed. The third car's brake system appeared to be jammed on with all brake shoes burnt off with steel on steel. The wheels were badly shelled and flattened from skidding. I walked back to the truck and spoke with the driver. I thanked him on behalf of the crew of 304 and told him he had saved a possible high speed derailment and sideswipe (of our train just feet away.)

He smiled, said "No problem." He looked at me and said "I sure like that high tech LED flashlight you got there. I sure would like one of those." I got his name and phone number and he mentioned his uncle was a retired yardmaster. I told him I knew his uncle and asked how he was doing.

This happened this Sunday morning. I intend to call the Trainmaster on Monday and ask him to buy the driver a new flashlight just like we are testing. If he won't, I will ask the union, I am sure they would be happy to buy him a flashlight. And I am thinking of getting him a edc, something like an RC-G2 or something easy to buy batteries for.

There are Good Men around us yet.

Nice...where did this take place?

I wish people would list where they are located.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Good story. Glad no one was hurt.

It's good to see the trusty ol' Propoly 3C get some mention on CPF, but as a flashaholic, I gotta ask--were you using it? At 5AM, I hoping you'll say that it was still dark and it was lighting up everything within 300 yards of you like daylight (ummm, OK, a little exaggerated, but don't tell the grandkids when you're repeating the story... :sssh:)

It may not be cutting edge, but my Propoly 4AA's are still my car lights. The reflector does an amazing job putting out that surprisingly bright hotspot coming from these Lux emitters and do a fine job lighting up distant house numbers or street signs when I'm looking for an address.

We are testing them trying to find a suitable new light source for conductors and crew. Hope the company will see the benefits.