Blackberry Pearl Phone light (w/beamshots) what kind of led is it?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I noticed thermal guy's post in the general section, so I thought I would ask all you "led experts" out there to tell me what kind of led the phone has. (I did not want to hijack the other thread since I am posting some pics here)

First, my new phone
2340156388_1d75194d51.jpg

It is the Blackberry 8130 Pearl for Sprint. I did not buy it for its flashlight abilities... they came as a surprise bonus when I learned the phone had a video light/flash. Here is a picture of the led by the camera lens....both are very small.
2340156026_5306df2fd4.jpg

Ok, the lens did not make it into the picture...it is the "vanity mirror" next to the led.

The led looks the about the size of a Rebel, but I do not know if it is or not.

The phone will let you use the led as a flash or constant video light (or turn it off) which makes it as a nice, surprisingly bright last resort flashlight.

Here are a couple of beamshots. Sorry, no outdoor ones yet as the moon is too bright. The pics are taken with the phone, so your guess on exposure data is as good as mine, but they show what the phone will do pretty well.

First, a control shot with the light turned off.
2340154908_4f187020b8.jpg

Next, 6' to the door by the table
2340154790_af022c5341.jpg

Finally, 7' to the wall
2340155208_9fed7db111.jpg

The light is all flood, with a VERY WIDE sideways oval beam. Output is hard to guess because the beam is so wide and even, but I would guess between 10-15 lumens. But it makes walking around a pitch black house incredibly easy. I am truly impressed by the way the light from a phone can light up everything in front of me in a room very well. It is no distance light by any means, but it would show you an obstacle in your path 7-10 yards away. (I was seriously reminded of the movie Cloverfield while walking around with this thing...fortunately no little monsters this time... or rats for that matter)

So whats the verdict? What kind of led is this? I always carry other lights... but it is nice to know that if I only had this phone, I would not be totally in the dark. :)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unsure of the type of LED the Pearl has, but the overall output of my Pearl pales in comparison to my HTC Touch Dual. Think P60 vs. P91 :duh2: .

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then you owe it to us all to post comparison beamshots! Maybe 10,20, and 30 yards... :nana:

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
TIP: change the setting for video so that the light is "always on". then assign one of the side buttons on the phone to the video camera. Now when you need a quick light, just hit the button (the video won't start recording without hitting the "pearl"

jake25

Enlightened
TIP: change the setting for video so that the light is "always on". then assign one of the side buttons on the phone to the video camera. Now when you need a quick light, just hit the button (the video won't start recording without hitting the "pearl"
being CPF , i think i would reach for my EDC than my pearl:) although my pearl aint bad for light either.

bobofish

Newly Enlightened
I had a nice little Nokia a few years ago that had a great little LED in the bottom of the phone. One button and the light turned on...very very useful. I wish they would include it in more phones.