Which under $50 dealextreme thrower should I get?

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I want a thrower as I have a surefire g2 with a cree upgrade right now and I live on 10 acres and need some pretty good throw. It doesn't throw much, so I was wondering which of the deal extreme throwers under $50 throw the most and have decent runtime etc... Also I do not care about which batteries it uses but I need it to run rechargeables( keep operating costs down), also since my g2 runs cr123a's it would be nice to have the option of using those.
Thanks( I'll do some beamshots with light you guys tell me to buy, after the month long dx shipping)

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
One more thing to add. Absolutely do not buy the Smartfire V-168C. You wanted a light that worked, right?

Rzr800

Enlightened
One more thing to add. Absolutely do not buy the Smartfire V-168C. You wanted a light that worked, right?

Is this pretty much the general consensus; or are there owners out there who have simply fixed the shortcomings and consider it a decent buy in the $30 or so class?
Not trying to start an argument; yet I have this light (actually gave it to a friend) haven't fixed it yet and it still seems to be plugging along. Actually, I'm even more interested in what the better light is at this pricepoint today with the same features (I'm guessing that there are several).

MstrHnky

Enlightened
The WF-600, 2 batteries, and a cheap(but decent) charger would be under $50 total.

It should work for your task(what's the longest clear distance on your lot?).

i've tried to purchase the aurora wf-600 q5 on two separate occasions but was refunded because they were backordered for so long.

i've since decided to buy a dbs, but will wait until the pwm/whine issues are ironed out. i'm so tempted to save $80 and buy the wf-600 since they are back in stock now. with the extra $80 i can get a cl1h v3.

i don't know if the dbs would be benefit me that much more than the wf-600 for the extra money. i just like how it can be easily upgraded.

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
Is this pretty much the general consensus; or are there owners out there who have simply fixed the shortcomings and consider it a decent buy in the $30 or so class?
Not trying to start an argument; yet I have this light (actually gave it to a friend) haven't fixed it yet and it still seems to be plugging along. Actually, I'm even more interested in what the better light is at this pricepoint today with the same features (I'm guessing that there are several).
I bought the Smartfire V-168C because I liked the Smartfire V-68C so much. The one I got was non-working when I received it due to a contact point being anodized over. I should have returned the light, but I've since made some modifications to get it up to standards. The Smartfire V-168C is $40. I like the beam pattern since it's another Lumahunter clone, but nobody should fork out $40 and get something that doesn't work due to sloppy workmanship.

gyani

Newly Enlightened
The wf-600 seems to be quite popular,and it is very inexpensive. Can it run off of two rechargeable cr123a(3.7v) batteries, and about how far does it throw a decent beam in clear conditions?
Thank You

gyani

Newly Enlightened
Also, how much will running cr123a's( if they work) rather than a 18650 battery in the wf-600 chnage the runtime?

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering why can't the wf-600 run 2x rcr123's?
Sorry, I'm kind new to this

Rzr800

Enlightened
I bought the Smartfire V-168C because I liked the Smartfire V-68C so much. The one I got was non-working when I received it due to a contact point being anodized over. I should have returned the light, but I've since made some modifications to get it up to standards. The Smartfire V-168C is $40. I like the beam pattern since it's another Lumahunter clone, but nobody should fork out $40 and get something that doesn't work due to sloppy workmanship.

Thanks for the note and setting me straight. I thought that your V-(1)68C model # was a typo and did not know that a similiar light existed. I agree that $40 (shipped) is beyond my level of patience in regards to minor modifications required in this market.

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
All lthe WF-600 format throwers from DX including the multipower P4, 18650 P4, Q2 WF-600 (18650) and Aurora Q2 WF-600 seem to have the same plastic reflector. I ordered three of the Auroras because the product description said that they have an aluminum reflector, but I cancelled after reading comments made by CPF members that these lights also have plastic reflectors. The multipower/3.6-9V WF-400 isn't as bright as the dedicated WF-400 (18650) model, so I would have ordered the WF-600 as an 18650-only light anyway.

You will want to read the reveiw of the Q5 4-mode V-68C (V-168C) by Selfbuilt before discounting this light (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184280). I added the isolator over the emitter module, lens o-ring, and UCL glass, and it throws! What I like most is the tint, and I think this may have the nicest tint among my numerous Q5 lights.

AK3D

Newly Enlightened
I have an Aurora WF600 Q5 with HAIII coating from DX. It uses 2X RCR123As. It throws well over 100 meters and is very solidly built. I had no issues except with the tailcap button, but I swapped that for a GITD one from DX. The light is very nice indeed! It is a bit ringy though, but I believe that is due to the smooth reflector. I have no issues with the rings, so long as it throws (which it does!).

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a couple of Lumapower D-Minis at the Market Place lately for around $40. They're very hard to beat for throw. They do require a 3.7 volt rechargeable Li-ion cell, though. They'll run on a primary CR-123A but at much reduced light output.

c_c

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There was an earlier version of the WF-600 that does take up to 9v, but the newer one can't take that much because of the driver (might be just a resistor). 9v will overheat the LED and destroy the driver presuming it has one. If it uses a resistor, the resistor will produce a lot of heat. The 3W Cree projection will take up to 9v.

The D-mini would be a good smaller sized thrower.

bspofford

Enlightened
I have an Aurora WF600 Q5 with HAIII coating from DX. It uses 2X RCR123As. It throws well over 100 meters and is very solidly built. I had no issues except with the tailcap button, but I swapped that for a GITD one from DX. The light is very nice indeed! It is a bit ringy though, but I believe that is due to the smooth reflector. I have no issues with the rings, so long as it throws (which it does!).

The product description on DX indicates that this light has an aluminum reflector, but several reports have indicated that it is plastic. Is your reflector plastic or aluminum?

Latest posts