Newbie comment on the L1 & L2

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am a newbie in the flashlights world and I have been looking at Surefire's website for specs on a number of lights. I have a question regarding the L1 and L2.

After reading the specs, I am not sure the purpose for SF to come out with these flashlights. The L1 and L2 both have two levels of output just like the E1L and the E2L. The L1 and L2 are more powerful but at considerable less runtime. If someone who is looking to buy his/her first SF, I don't see any reason why he/she would go for the L1/L2 instead of the E1L /E2L. Maybe for collecting reasons? J

If someone was to buy just ONE general purpose SF flashlight, wouldn't you recommend the E1L/E2L? Or something else like the G2LED?

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's just the age old battle of run-time vs output. People who favor maximum output will likely choose the L1. The L2 is the older and much less efficient LuxV emitter and isn't a very good comparison to any of the newest generation LEDs.

As you said said the E1L and E2L are great general purpose, 'do anything and everything,' lights for those who don't mind sacrificing a few lumens at max output.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam geometry of the L2 differs from the L1, E1L, and E2L. The L2 is floody and has less throw so it is good for lighting up a room.

The others are better for outdoor use because they are essentially spotlights instead of floodlights and permit you to illuminate objects further away with their narrow beam.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
E1L and E2L have more runtime and enough output for most tasks.

The L1 has more output but low is too high for some.

The L2 uses a Luxeon V(unknown Bin) with a reflector instead of a Cree XR-E(unknown Bin) with a optic. The L2 has a wide floody hotspot. The others have a tighter beam with less spill.

The E1B might also be a choice.

One question though, does it have to be a Surefire?

:welcome:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus there is the question of switch preference. The L1 and L2 have a great two stage twisty while the E1L and E2L have a new double click interface. I prefer the clickie, others prefer the twisty. Also consider that the the E1L and E2L have just recently been made two level lights. The L1 and L2 have been Surefire's two level LED options for quite some time now.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus there is the question of switch preference. The L1 and L2 have a great two stage twisty while the E1L and E2L have a new double click interface....
To me, this is the main reason for offering the two lines. A fairly subtle difference for those new to multi-level lights, but most will favor one over the other with use.

In general, I like clickies. However, I sometimes have issues with getting the level of light I need with the new E-series interface. In this case, I greatly prefer the simplicity of the L1 switch.

The output on low between the E1L and the L1 is not that great, but for the way I use the light, the low of the L1 is a much better overall level for me. The E1L would be a tad too low for outside use on dark surfaces.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap, as used by models including their L1 and L2 allows the user to transition between outputs simply by the amount of pressure they apply to the switch. Press hard for high output. This is the most natural user interface (UI) for switching modes in terms of ergonomics - it is natural for the user to tense up under stressful conditions - when the light output needs to highest. There is no time to think, to perform anything other than the most basic of actions - press hard for high output.

This is not to say that other UI's don't have merits and their places. The need for light is diverse. The multi-click/tap etc UI's give the user the ability to have more than just two output modes. They are slower and require thought and learning but with the advent of electronics for controlling LED's they gave the user a whole world of choice in terms of what they want the beam to be like.
To the 'outdoorsman' the E1L and E2L offer the user the ability to switch between high and low output using the click switch to toggle between modes. This gives the user choice without requiring a complex mechanical and engineering solution necessary for two-stage pressure switching.

If you have the time then the E1L and E2L could well be for you.
If you can't afford to mess about then the L1 and L2 would be more appropriate.

Yes the L2 has a LuxeonV LED which is consider to be out-of-date. It's beam is still impressive and until the current L1 was released it was my EveryDay Carry (EDC) of choice.

I suggest you try to handle some SureFires at a Dealer's store before deciding to buy. There are other flashlight brands offering their own flavour of UI's and such. With so much choice if you don't need/want a two-stage pressure switch it would be a shame to rush into a purchase without trying some flashlights out for yourself.

Al

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
E1L and E2L have more runtime and enough output for most tasks.

The L1 has more output but low is too high for some.

The L2 uses a Luxeon V(unknown Bin) with a reflector instead of a Cree XR-E(unknown Bin) with a optic. The L2 has a wide floody hotspot. The others have a tighter beam with less spill.

The E1B might also be a choice.

One question though, does it have to be a Surefire?

:welcome:

Actually, I do own a G2 LED. Besides the cheap (but very useable) LED Maglite 2AA, the G2 is the only serious flashlight I have right now.

I was just do some research the the two lines and don't fully understand why the slightly higher lumens but almost 70% less runtime for the L1 compared to the E1L would still be popular. 1.5 hours is a very short time for any night camping or night hiking application.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Plus there is the question of switch preference. The L1 and L2 have a great two stage twisty while the E1L and E2L have a new double click interface....
To me, this is the main reason for offering the two lines. A fairly subtle difference for those new to multi-level lights, but most will favor one over the other with use.

In general, I like clickies. However, I sometimes have issues with getting the level of light I need with the new E-series interface. In this case, I greatly prefer the simplicity of the L1 switch.

The output on low between the E1L and the L1 is not that great, but for the way I use the light, the low of the L1 is a much better overall level for me. The E1L would be a tad too low for outside use on dark surfaces.

I've never tried a SF clicky yet so I don't know if I'll like it or not.

Hmm....your last paragraph reminded me to ask this question, I have had the time to go outside to try this when it is dark......how much brigther will my G2 LED be compared to let's say a Petzl TikkaPlus headlamp? I've always thought the TikkaPlus is the brigthest thing I could put on my head around the campsite.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Yes the L2 has a LuxeonV LED which is consider to be out-of-date. It's beam is still impressive and until the current L1 was released it was my EveryDay Carry (EDC) of choice.

I suggest you try to handle some SureFires at a Dealer's store before deciding to buy. There are other flashlight brands offering their own flavour of UI's and such. With so much choice if you don't need/want a two-stage pressure switch it would be a shame to rush into a purchase without trying some flashlights out for yourself.

Al

Well, I've seen EDC around so many times and always wondered what it means, now I know! Thanks! :)

As for other brands of flashlights, I know people here (well most I guess) really like Fenix lights. I am a bit weary of this brand. Please don't flame me for saying this......I am just a bit concerned about Chinese-made eletronics stuff. I am not sure if they're chinese made but I think they're designed in China. Now, just want to let you know that I AM chinese. But I just very skeptical about the quality control of the Fenix lights. I've read many satisfied Fenix customers on this board so far so maybe I will look into one too! Especially with that new one (T11? TK10?) coming out soon.

I haven't seen Fenix in at a local store though....so I would have to buy them online.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Centropolis,

I don't have a G2L, (and I would'nt really consider it for a headlight) but but did have a Tikka Plus at one time. I'd have to say that these two lights are dissimilar enough that a comparison would just end up being an excercise in comparing total output.

The G2L is 80 lumens (according to SF) in a fairly concentrated beam ideally suited for mid to long range spotting, while the Tikka Plus would be around 30 lumens (?) at its brightest and more of an area light.

Back to your question about the L1 vs the E1L. If output vs. runtime was your only consideration, then the E1L would make a logical choice in my mind. Still, the other factors already mentioned (i.e. ergonomics, low output level, and UI) play a part as well.

Its like buying an automobile. If miles/kilometers per gallon/liter was your primary concern, then buying a Ford F250 would not make sense. It doesn't mean that there is no use for the F250.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the E1L uses usable runtime as a guide. Which means the light might have already dimmed but there is enough light for most tasks.

The Fenix P2D-CE would run at high(around 65 lumen, around 80 for the Q5 version) for almost 3 hours, so the L1's runtime seems good for regulated runtime(output is more like 80 lumen, runtime might be a bit longer). Medium on the P2D runs for around 7.5 hours, and is 30 lumen or around 40 for the Q5 version, so going from that, the E1L uses usable runtime as a guide probably around 4-6 hours of regulated runtime. (I'm just using the P2D as a guide for runtime).